Monday Morning Mirth July 18, 2011

Monday Morning Mirth

Recently, something big landed on the Miracle Mile in Chicago. In the land of glorious vintage skyscrapers, a 26-foot statue has taken up residence.

Now this is no brass hero or even a brass monkey ala Picasso in Daley Plaza.

This is a kitschy remake of a classic film moment, an iconic breath of summertime, where Maryilyn Monroe placed herself on a sidewalk grate to catch a cool breeze from the subway trains rushing by below.

But this giant from the 7-Year Itch has become a topic of almost epic debate here in the Big Windy, where windy stands for make your case.

The people are split in two: you either love it or hate it. It’s either a frisky camera stop designed to especially thrill the summertime tourists or it’s the most vulgar upskirt moment ever seen.

What say you?

14 Responses to “Monday Morning Mirth July 18, 2011”

1. Gina E says:

They still had it covered when we were there last week. My kids (ages 10 and 12) thought it was the weirdest thing ever and couldn’t figure out why it was there in the first place. I think it’s kind of tacky but whatever… to each his own! :-)

2. CindyCindy says:

Every little boy’s dream;-P

3. MaryAnne says:

I’ll have to agree with Gina that it’s a tad on the tacky side. I confess, though, that I’ve generally had it with the lack of any sort of propriety in our society. I would have no objection to it being in a museum dedicated to Big Screen moments and stars and the history, etc…..but I don’t like it on the plaza where parents have no way to option out of youngsters seeing it.

4. technikat says:

I think it’s really vulgar. How about some original art instead.

5. Robin F. says:

I loved marilyn as an actress. This statue would have been better placed in NYC over a real subway grate and lifesize. This is offensive in many ways.

6. Mary Neal says:

Hate it. This is how Chicago wants to represent itself?

7. Kathy says:

Guess I am in the minority. I think it is fun.

8. Gina says:

I’m sorry – but I don’t see what’s vulgar about it. I have my doubts that “23 foot Marilyn” isn’t wearing panties. Tacky, tourist photo op kitsch – absolutely – but vulgar?

9. PICAdrienne says:

It is a statue of a movie shot of a bygone era. Reality, she probably was wearing a girdle in the shot, no one was wondering if she was going commando. The shot was created before ‘upskirt’ was a known word in slang terminology. It is a fun statue.

I will say, in light of current economic issues, I would not be thrilled if my city spent money on art like that, but that is budget, not the statue itself.

This is what most people are saying is vulgar. An iconic moment in film that lasted seconds and had context is now obliterated by this massive scale, low viewpoint and poor quality of materials. This is downtown Chicago, not Vegas, etc. etc…

People are acting out in all sorts of ways around it that are not very kid/public friendly, too.

11. Kathy says:

I think I’d need to see it “in person”; but then again, maybe I don’t want to. =:-|

12. Michelle says:

Huh. Love the film, of course. But, if I was from Chicago, I would be p.o.’d. Definitely kitschy, and how about the cost?? I can’t help but think that Marilyn wouldn’t be thrilled, either.

13. Lori says:

I liked the american gothic statue this replaced better. And what happened to the giant eyeball? I found that last year thanks to you but my daughter says now its gone. Thanks for your blog. I enjoy the Chicago stuff almost as much as the knitting.

14. MaryAnne says:

UGH! I hate it more with the second link seeing all the guys from the wedding party…..over the edge for me.