Tuesday, August 15, 2006

OK. It’s Tuesday and I’m still a little woozy. WHO would think a hangover could last this long?

blum.jpg

You would, if you were one of the thousands of people who were out at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center this weekend, getting higher than a kite on EVERY type of fiber imaginable.

I wasn’t really planning on going but when Theresa mentioned she and Julie were making the trip AND taking the Blue Line, I was a goner. The train lets you off just about two blocks from the building and it was a done deal.

First stop: Blue Moon Fiber Arts, which you see above. I love their Motto: “Changing the World One Sock at a Time”. And if the teeming mass of knitters swarming that booth were any indication, these folks are headed for Total Global Domination!

Second Stop: but of course, no trip to a Fiber Fest would be complete without a hearty hail howdy to the wonderful folks at the Fold! They were, IMHO, best of show, as always and paired with their friends from Canada, Rovings, made me the mess I am today. I got INTOXICATED with fiber, ladies and gentlemen. Laugh if you must, but I predict if you ever make this journey you will fall down the same slippery slope. Just ask some of the incredible people [hey Franklin! hey Sean! hey KathyM! hey KarenB! hey Laila!] I met and talked to – they will tell you I was having a hard time remembering my name…

jtspin.jpg

In fact, the fiber high coupled with a large Latte on the Train, made me lose my bearings and I lost my traveling companions for a few seconds until Corinne, who had joined-in-progress, spun me around and showed me just who had discovered their favorite treasure trove…

20 Responses to “Tuesday, August 15, 2006”

1. Lolly says:

I can hardly wait for Stitches East to come here in November… what a great time!! ;)

2. Beth in KC says:

I’m so glad I spotted you and said hello. My sisters and I were totally overwhelmed by the world’s largest yarn store and had a great time touching and sniffing – and buying – all of that yarn.

3. Karen says:

Fiber Festivals are definitely overwhelming but oh so worth it! So, did you sit down in front of a wheel and give it a try?

4. pixie says:

I have decided this holiday season i might purchase a second wheel.. so bad!

5. Karen B. says:

So serendipitous to run into you fine ladies at the Yarn Ball!

Sometimes, it’s about making contact with the authors, designers, spinners and store owners. Mostly, it’s about getting your fiber groove on with your peeps to support ya.

See you soon at SnB MCA!

6. Corinne says:

I’m in complete agreement with you–Rovings and the Fold–Best In Show!

7. liz says:

If you are intoxicated by fiber, does this mean you have a yarnover?

8. Julie says:

One of these days we’ll get you spinning too :) I’m glad we got to hang out on Saturday and fondle all the lovely fiber together!

Wow, my fingers are getting twitchy just looking at the pictures…Bonnie, there is help, I believe meetings are every 1st and 3rd Thursday night.

10. Theresa says:

Chuckle. Julie and I are nothing if not predictable when it comes to trying out spinning wheels. Aren’t you glad I didn’t want to take one of those home on the Blue Line?

11. Beth S. says:

If you are starting to hear the siren song of fiber, you need a drop spindle! Much cheaper than a wheel, you can put it in your bag and pull it out just like a sock-in-progress… and though it looks and feels like a toy, it is a real, honest-to-goodness, working tool.

You’d get some mighty funny looks on the LoveBus, though. ;-)

12. Delica says:

You must join us and learn to spin . . . you are getting sleepy . . . you want to spin . . .

13. Scout says:

I almost went and helped the Blue Moon Girls! I should have so we could have met!!!

14. claudia says:

That is a great picture of the mad spinsters.

15. Amy says:

Looks like you had a great time there as well – if I was home I’d be playing with all my new yarn too. :)

16. knit chick says:

I was one of the thousands that descended into Rosemont this past weekend. My 1st & 2nd stops: BMFA & The Fold.

I’m still woozy, too.

17. Marji says:

Wasn’t it fabulously overwhelming? I fell in love at Rovings too. Most of what I left Stitches with came from Rovings, and 1/2 a sk of the Polwarth/Silk blend is already knit up. Now to go see what left with you.

18. Nanc says:

Oh my! It looks like it was wonderful, and I am envious of it all (including easy transportation to and fro).

I’m loving the pics of the spinners and the haul that you’re starting to show. What fun!

19. Chris says:

*sigh* Sounds wonderful!

20. Janet says:

Yup, Rovings was one of my favorites. So nice, there, too. One of the ladies remembered me when I came back after class and fortification via a peanut butter cookie, and observed that I looked much better now. . .And don’t you get dizzy trying to make a choice at the Habu Textiles table?