KIPKIPKIPKIPKIP

ah, the power of Real-Time Blogging – listening to the pouring rain while sitting in my jammies…

My Father, may he RIP, once told me that I learned everything I know from the School of Hard Knocks. As I’ve graced down the timeline, I’ve found, wonder of wonders, IT’s TRUE!

Note to Parents Everywhere: YOU were RIGHT!
MOST of the Time!

It seems lately I’ve been busy at my lessons and shall I say, re-lessons.

Luckily, the Do-Over is not a dirty word at Chez Chic.

Even if it was generated by lack of common sense, it is No Crime to get it Right the Whatever Time.

For Example: I’ve started knitting the Mountain Peaks Shawl and am already at my first DO. I am using Jagger Zephyr yarn and started out with #4 Clover needles – hmm…

Knock-Knock: Who’s There?
Dumb, dull points. Wicked thick cable. Sloppy uncontrollable tension.

mp1.jpg

Here you see on top the first try – fug ala mode, created with the #4. No way was I going to wear it. So, I decided to switch tools but searching through my needles for the ultimate in knitting pleasure, Inox Teflons, I was flummoxed to find I did not possess a #3! Now if you’ve ever seen my needle collection, you would think this was not even remotely possible. I did however, have a sharp pointed Crystal Palace #3.

Knock-Knock:
Evil, resisting cables; possibly going to have to take time-out to glue the mfn bamboo portion into sockets.

However, I am on vacation. I am dressed to kill and ready for bear.

mp3.jpg

I hereby invoke the buffness of Henry Rollins
to show those nasty cables Who’s the Boss…
(YaHAA DSL: check this out)

Here you see the re-lesson #2:

mp2.jpg

Now this is really nothing new – heat generally relaxes cables.

Knock-Knock:
Unless they are, but of course, CP cables. I have almost fried myself silly with a hair dryer trying to un-kink whatever wonder plastic these are made of. Seems like that silly little metal join spins around and just when you think you’ve smoothed the cable out, it twists and spits in your face.

Well, I’m twisting right back atcha, cables! and I poured boiling water into the largest stainless steel bowl I have – (just sticking these things into the pot has little controllable effect) – and plunged them in. My reasoning? The cable once it hit the heat just might follow the circular shape of the bowl. And VOILA! Works for me…

Happy now, I make Try #2 (seen on the bottom of the first picture above) with the smaller needles – and get what I want. I also changed the start of the piece – right after casting on, I worked one knit row to strengthen that point.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sahara writes: “Oh lord, Bonne

16 Responses to “KIPKIPKIPKIPKIP”

I think many of us have had complete faith in our mess of needles, only to find we don’t have the perfect one for the job. Glad to hear you were able to make the CP work!

2. Becky says:

You crack me up. I love how you find the humor in everything. And “fug ala mode”? Please, can I use that in future?

3. Miriam says:

You could knock me over with a feather right now. Thank you to both you and Stephanie.

4. Nanc says:

Ha! The crazy image, now firmly implanted in my mind, of you shoving the wee Harlot as she’s sneaking a peak (or more) of your lace is crackin’ me up.

Thanks for the laughs, and for publicly bossing those wicked needle cables around.

5. Delica says:

This was hysterical – you show those needles who’s the boss!

6. Liz says:

Where oh where can I pick up that wonderful H. Rollins T-Shirt? I have a husband that would look pretty good sportin’ HR.

7. Leslie says:

Good God, girl. Go treat yourself to some Addi Natura’s or Susanne’s ebonies. Vacation is a license to spend.

Hugs to you!

8. Chris says:

I am glad that you subdued those nasty cables! Knit on.

9. Gina says:

I *adore* Henry Rollins. I don’t know many women that do, but this is just another example of how damned cool you are.

10. Stephanie says:

Silly Bonne Marie, you don’t scare me. I wouldn’t fish it out of your purse like that.

I’d wait till you went to the ladies.

(I’m little, but I’m wiry.)

Oooohh… you are devilishly Clevva – but I knew that :)

12. lindsey says:

now that is one sexy t-shirt. i was so afraid that you were going to say that he had a show soon in chicago and i was going to kick myself from here to beyond for moving to germany. i love that man. if i could spend my days listening to him and bill hicks i’d be a happy girl. keep up the good work and don’t beat yourself up in public with your kintting.

13. Lorette says:

Fug ala mode. Ha! And why IS it that you can have a huge needle collection (including two complete sets of interchangeable needles, in my case), not have just the one you need?

14. Jess says:

Bonne Marie, look out – the Zephyr is addictive! Happy vacation. Glad you’re outta there for a while. I remember how it felt.

15. Karen says:

Your package arrived today, and I see why people say this yarn is addictive – I just want to roll around in a big pile of it! Thank you!

16. Barbara says:

I am confused as to why you are heating a cable stitch holder and why your cables are resisting. Are they complicated? I just taught myself basic cabling and it was pretty straightforward. Are you going to post a picture of your project when it’s finished???