Thursday, April 20, 2006

if the sleeve don’t fit, you must convict convert…

Now that the press has christened my morning ride the Love Bus, I’ve been noticing all sorts of stuff: first and foremost, the redundancy of my wardrobe.

PARKA PArka parka

Sounds like a dog barking; looks worse.

It has become my Civic Duty to upgrade my mobile commuting look – for the good of Chicago (and my flirt life), I’ve decided to get my A.M. act together.

Fortunately, that’s not as impossible as it might seem – and fortuitously, my insane habit of marinating unfinished projects is going to bail me out.

I love this Jacket! But somehow, this was made in the days when I must’ve been avoiding all use of a measuring tape because the sleeves on this unit were over 2″ too long. I tried once, half-heartedly, to start to fix this problem but lacked the courage and strength to complete the task. NO MORE! The Love Bus is calling. I must shorten these sleeves and right now. Above you see where I left it – with the sleeve seam opened up about 4″ and a scrap piece of yarn threaded one row below where I wanted to pick up and knit the new cuff.

Now I take my sharpest scissors and clip the stitches in the row above across the sleeve.

After picking out the remnants of the cut stitches, I have new *LIVE* stitches.

Now, just carefully unravel one row (I like to have a nice tail to attach the new yarn to) and carry on!

Does one inch of Seed Stitch stand between me and Romantic History?

15 Responses to “Thursday, April 20, 2006”

1. Teresa says:

Oooooh, I always get such a shaky hand when I have to *cut* my knits, but this is such a clever way to adjust the sleeve length. Good luck-with the sleeve and the Love Bus! ;-)

2. Wendy says:

Hey Bonne Marie — nice tail. ;-)

3. Terry says:

Yeah! darn good advice on how to adjust the knitting and better so, get the visual together for the am! Much needed in these parts in N. California.

4. Cindy says:

You are brave. You did the right thing. You will find love on the “Love Bus”. I can just feel it.

5. Elizabeth says:

Oh, I’m so happy that you had a stage like that as well. For a long time I followed the pattern and kept scratching my head and saying, “huh!” everytime the lengths did not work out. I’m better about gauge now, but am having a slight rebellious setback. Please feel free to thwap me and hand me my trusty tape at the next KIP!

6. Chris says:

Oh, I need to do this on a sweater, too – but it has corrugated ribbing on the cuff. Blech…

Get cracking on that seed stitch – I love to read about romantic drama. :)

7. Sarah says:

Per usual… you amaze me. I want to deconstruct something in me closet!

Love the Love Bus… he he… I just thought that van with the yarn ball in NY is the real love bus… dorky, but worth a laugh.

8. Wanda says:

Wee-hee! Looks like some crazy cutting, but I know it will be a lovely garment once completed. You always astound me, but you’ve got to get that wardrobe ready for the Love Bus!

9. Jenna says:

You.are.so.brave. Even to show a knit who’s boss, cutting it, ack!! But it’s so clever, I shortened some sleeves by unravelling from the cast-on edge, which was a nightmare. This is much smarter and faster!

10. Leah says:

Much as I wish you luck (and watch with breath held in anticipation) I think it would be exceedingly unfair if an inch of Seed Stitch were all it took!

11. Imbrium says:

Scissors and knitting…still scary.

12. Amy Lu says:

Very, very nice. That will be a quick fix!

13. meg says:

Wouldn’t that be cool? Seeding love in your daily commute – just think really hard of your dream guy while you’re knitting. :o)

14. Delica says:

You are the Boss of knitting! Do you have a magic book to solve all knitting problems? You must sooon show us how this new jacket looks on you!

15. Helen says:

It is beautiful, but I’m getting the willies just watching you do that!