Fare is Fair October 20, 2010

Although it was a beautiful weekend past in Chicago, there was a little tugging on my compass. Something was happening on the East Coast that was setting off all sorts of fiber flares of omg.

So I went diving locally instead, to quench the fire, the envy, the I’manottagonnabethere, sigh…

The reward was great. Greater than I could imagine – and quite poignant in a way only a pack rat can be poignant!

Now, the other thing that was achieved this weekend was that I set up a wireless router for my house. This was accomplished with lots of hits and misses, stops and starts, travels to the deck to breath deeply and settle down. The Geekitude lives here, but sometimes isn’t on call, in quite the way it’s needed.

At the end of the day, I could watch Netflix anywhere at all in this olde house. OOf. Girl with the Dragon Tatoo? Seen it. Knit along to The Wire? Done. Break all the drama up with Russell Brand in NYC? Ok.

But there was one little TV show I’d never paid attention to – and it almost did me in: Hoarders! I’ll spare you the details, but it inspired me more than ever to keep going with my local network clean-up so to speak. I’ve been doing the old “throw/give something away everyday” for awhile now and it’s starting to show results.

Everywhere but my Studio, where for some reason (snort) I can’t seem to winnow anything out at all.

A Stash Is a Stash is a Stash.

Regal. Awesome. Ridiculous.

But it was what gave me terrific peace of mind when I went to quench the envy fires this weekend. *Someone* needed to be reminded of the bounty on hand and cool their jets.

I had to get out the step stool but on the top level of the wall unit, there appeared an innocent little box:

box-1-9951box-2-9951

QUE?

box-3-9951

Who the heck is this and what was I doing when I bought it?

box-4-9951box-5-9951

Ooh la la! This is a sweater kit – something I got long ago at another fiber fest nearer home and it’s been patiently waiting its turn for the runway long enough…

box-6-9951

Care to guess what this is? Leave a comment and we’ll random draw the correct answers on Monday, October 25th, to win a skein of Schaefer Yarns ANNE in the Chai Spice color. Win, win, winnow winnow :)

79 Responses to “Fare is Fair October 20, 2010”

1. mary says:

oh my – I googled blue shimmer bohus and found this http://knitknitfrog.blogspot.com/2006/10/bohus-blue-shimmer-pickies-d-and-whats.html …and if your kit is going to become that stunning sweater, wow!!!!

2. Karen says:

I’m going to guess that is a kit for the beautiful Blue Shimmer Bohus by Solveig Gustafsson. And I hear ya on the winnowing. I’ve loaded three 60 gallon garbage bags of stuff for the Goodwill, and it feels great!

3. Eunice says:

Looks like the colors of a Bohus. Have fun with it.

4. pennyj says:

If you can’t remember, I’ll take it and knit something out of it…g

5. Issy Thomas says:

It’s the beautiful Blue Shimmer Bohus sweater. Awesome. Wish I could find one in my closet!!

6. Maria says:

It’s a kit for an unevenly striped sweater! Aren’t I clever?

7. diane says:

Blue Shimmer Bohus? If you’d really rather not make it I’d be happy to take the kit off your hands….

8. AnitaMayKnit says:

Blue Shimmer Bohus – I’m not yet that brave, but will watch your progress eagerly!

9. Evie says:

How about a sweater with a pretty ocean scene on the front!?

10. Kathleen says:

It’s a blue shimmer Bohus! Lucky you finding it when you needed something new!

11. Mary Neal says:

Yeah, I had that “something I’m missing” feeling, too.
    Let’s plan for next year, OK?

12. liinu says:

I´m guessing Bohus, too :) Such beautiful colours, looks sooo soft!

13. sue says:

Yum. Looks like the Bohus-replica Blue Shimmer sweater kit.

Interesting that it is from Kimmet Croft fibers. Sometimes I hear that company is outta business due to a cattle farm moving in next door. But then I hear it is in business or see it at a fiber show. It is so confusing.

I’ve made the Blue Shimmer Bohus-replica hat from Solveig. It is a lovely lovely colorwork pattern. So iconic of the Bohus era.

14. Pam Huang says:

Looks like you bought a kit for the Bohus sweater knitted in the round, like the sweaters reatured in “Poems of Color”. The angora should make the sweater wonderfully soft!

15. Karen says:

Yes I instantly thought the colors looked like Solveig’s Bohus kits. Gorgeous! Now…will you be converting it into a cardigan?:)

16. yarnsnob says:

It’s the Bohus that all my friends and I are dyeing :) to make.

17. StatenIslandSusan says:

Well, we knot it’s the yarn for a Bohus Blue Shimmer. I seem to recall you blogged about buying it many, many moons ago. Maybe I’m remembering a post about the LOVE for the blue yarn. In any event, it’s lovely!

18. Ruth says:

That’s got to be the yarn from Solvieig’s kit for the Bohus Stickning Blue Shimmer sweater. Lovely. I have a couple of those kits (Forest Darkness and Wild Apples) in my yarn stash and one of these days . . .

19. Of course, it must be Bohus! That seems to be the most popular votes…although I haven’t a clue. If you decide you really can’t live with it, I’ll send you my mailing address. It’s beautiful. Maybe not the name Blue Shimmer…but the yarn.

20. Ruth says:

Oh wait, I had one more look and I see this isn’t Solvieg’s kit, this is the kit from the place in Wisconsin. I haven’t tried their yarns yet. I understand they are a bit heavier in weight but just as luscious. I can’t wait to see how this knits up!!!

21. Heather says:

From everyone elses guesses, it would be the Bohus Blue Shimmer, but what it really is is a beautiful box of blue / turquoise loveliness! Right down to the tissue paper, all so pleasing to the eye….

22. melissa says:

Ah, do I see the yarn for a Blue Shimmer Bohus sweater? So pretty!

23. blogless Jean says:

Yep — it’s a bohus sweater and it will be WONDERFUL this winter — making a pullover or a cardi? Great colors!

24. Marianne says:

I was commissioned to do the blue shimmer hat with the kit from K C Fibers. Isn’t the yarn just wonderful to touch but be very careful cause the bugs love it, too!

25. caroline says:

ooooh! Blue Shimmer Bohus?

26. Beth in Seattle says:

Has to be a Bohus – are you going to make a cardigan or a pullover? I got sucked into Hoarders when I was staying in a hotel a couple of months ago. Oh. My. It is good to have those little reminders of where things can go if you let them.

27. Alex says:

Looks like…a striped sweater to me. I’m not very good with sweater patterns, but I love the colors! Have fun with it!

28. Julie says:

Oh my gosh, a Bohus sweater! So jealous! :D

29. Sara GL says:

I guess the Bohus blue shimmer sweater – is it going to be cardigan or pullover? Love the cardigan look but practically speaking (living in San Diego!) I’d have to knit the cardigan, I think… Yarn is gorgeous just sitting there in the box!

30. marina says:

Blue Shimmer :) gorgeous and what a great surprise to find!

31. Donna says:

I knew instantly that it was a Bohus kit – other people find a box of acrylic leftovers, and you hit the motherlode – nice!

32. Maria says:

That Blue Shimmer Bohus is going to be beautiful – which reminds me that I should get started on my Azalea one!

33. marylou says:

Blue Shimmer Bohus kit???

34. Sonja says:

Blue Shimmer Bohus Kit! How exciting! I’ve seen a few of them (though not in person) and they are stunning!

35. Charlotte says:

It’s a kit for a bohus sweater.

36. Julie says:

I bet you got that at Stitches Midwest years ago. I remember that Kimmet Croft used to be in the marketplace. It’s got to be a kit for the aforementioned Blue Shimmer pullover/cardigan. The hat kits were in small ziplock bags. I know– I bought one, knit it up, and then lost that hat on the CTA. I’ve now discovered the kits from Solveig; the yarn is slightly different. Bohus sweaters are such satisfying knits. My current project is the Lemon cardigan.

37. Debra Fox says:

It is a kit for the blue Shimmer Bohus cardigan or pullover.
    PS My Ravelry name is Schaeferyarnlovr!

38. tracy_a says:

It’s a gorgeous bohus sweater – was it in Poems of Color?

39. Karen says:

A kit for the sweater: Blue shimmer bohus. Very nice!

40. Jan says:

I’m envious–a Bohus blue shimmer kit.

41. Constance Ward says:

Saw the Kimmelcraft label and knew immediately – Bohus Strickning sweater kit! LUCKY YOU. Have fun knitting up all those bits of loveliness.

42. Rose says:

I was going to guess colorwork (duh) but looks like a Bohus is the better answer! Missed seeing you at Rhinebeck! Wore the Mondo Cable pullover (LOVED making it and LOVE the way it looks!!) Thanks for a great one!!

43. Valerie says:

It’s probably cold enough in Chicago to wear an Angora Bohus. It’s not cold enough here in NYC to do anything but gaze at it and admire. However, while I am much closer, I didn’t make it to Rhinebeck either.

44. Beth Wilson says:

I’m thinking the same as above (Bohus Shimmer kit ) ….. OMG, it is soooo Beautiful !!!!

Don’t you just LOVE surprises like that ??!!

Just can’t wait to see it made up !!

45. Beth Wilson says:

p.s I need to go and check my shelves …..

46. Oooh…a Blue Shimmer Bohus kit! I’ve always liked that one. Now we’re all jealous of YOU–was that the point? ;-)

47. Dawn says:

It’s yarn for “The Blue Shimmer” Bohus sweater. BEAUTFIUL!

At the WI Sheep and Wool festival this year, I bought a hat kit from Kimmet and Croft Fibers for “The Swan” hat, along with the “Poems of Color” book. This will be my introduction to Bohus, and I hope to knit The Blue Shimmer” sweater next.

Good luck and I can’t wait to see the finished sweater!

48. Kathleen says:

Even before looking at the comments I thought “Bohus”–because it was the only thing I could think of that would have that yarn set up–and it is my almost total ignorance of colorwork speaking as well :) i can barely knit a stripe

49. Pam says:

Well, I saw the box — Kimmet Croft, and then the label l- Blue Shimmer – a Bohus sweater, blue shimmer. Lucky you! I guess I still have something to look forward to in my knitting life, since I haven’t made one yet. Enjoy!!

50. Diann says:

It’s a Blue Shimmer Bohus-style sweater from Kimmet Croft. Lovely!