Wednesday, March 22, 2006

What in the world do toast & yarn have in common? Nothing! But the Jelly & Yarn do! Both come from the lovely hands of Heidi who birthday gifted me with them on a recent trip. This morning, I finally had a little time to play with them in the sun (before devouring the wonderful PB&J sandwich made with the Blood Orange marmalade Heidi made herself – YUM is not big enough to say how great this tastes – THANK YOU is not big enough to express my delight!)

I can hardly wait to start some socks from the Briar Rose yarn in the background – all my favorite colors live in this yarn – a custom handpaint from Chris herself. Pampered Piggies await.

Yesterday those little piggies went to market in a big way along Chicago’s Damen Avenue. I met my neighbor Theresa for a Bucktown Boutique Romp – I’ve been on a *local* vacation this week and we decided to be tourists in our own town! Truly nothing better -

We went up to Bucktown and worked our way south.

****** ******

I saw this wonderful arrangement in the window of a shop -

and just had to go in and make some new friends.

This space was FULL of ruffley tulips and just mouth watering roses in bi-colors and more. VOILA! Mega Spring Fever!

cactpot.jpg

I ended up with a retro pot (the green fluted one on the left) as a new home for the Christmas Cactus my neighbor gave me – hey TOM! It’s still ALIVE! I didn’t think I could do it but hey, it’s the 22nd of March and it’s still kickin…

Bucktown is one of the most lovely neighborhoods in Chicago – many of its buildings hail circa 1880 and most of the little shops along Damen are in the original charming storefronts that graced the avenue back in the day. A little north of Larkspur, we found C’est Moi.

This is a delightful houseware store and I spotted something through the window that made me rush inside.

My Aunt Florence, who lives in Hampton, Georgia, sent me some birthday $wag and now I have something to light up my life and think of her in the evening.

The magical thing about this 10″ lamp is that the shade is not a shade at all but a CANDLE! It burns from the inside down and light shines through the rest of the wax. Ah, vacation – enough time to take a picture of it and play in Photoshop to make this card for Auntie Flo – thanks for visiting, y’all…

13 Responses to “Wednesday, March 22, 2006”

1. margene says:

I adore Blood Orange Marmalade and my local market has it freshly made! Very nice photo montage.

2. Heidi says:

I’m glad you like the marmalade! For some people it’s an acquired taste…and you must have acquired it. :)

3. Imbrium says:

I love Christmas cactuses…they’re almost impossible to kill. I received my first one from a friend after bemoaning my brown thumb, and she promised me that I couldn’t kill it. Sure enough, it lives still, six years later. I also have one at work which is over a year old and thriving, despite having never seen real sunlight.

4. rachelkates says:

Thanks for reminding me there’s life outside the dreary office during the end-of-quarter crunch.

5. Leah says:

Lovely photos (I love Photoshop, too)!

I am so jealous about your local vacation! Lots of knitting time and blogging time.

How heavenly!

How neat that the lampshade is a candle. Very unique.

7. Melissa says:

I love my ‘hood! Did you go into that cool new store that sells nothing but trim and buttons?? It’s great!

8. Melissa says:

I love my ‘hood! Did you go into the new store that sells nothing but trim and buttons? It’s awesome!

9. Theresa says:

I love the lamp/lantern/candle. Did you try it out and see how much light it gave off?

I had a blast yesterday. We’ll have to find some other part of the city to explore some other time!

10. caroline says:

I just caught your sidebar remark about the firemen and knitting. omigod. I need a fan. right NOW. hehe. thanks for giving me a visual to take to my date with the stairmaster at the gym tonight!

11. Amy says:

Your Damen shopping adventure looks like it was a success – I love your purchases – both look like they would fit in with my stuff. :) Hampton, GA…was in that neck of the woods this weekend visiting my family (Fayetteville to be precise).

12. Wow! I need to explore this neighborhood further. I’ve been hunkered down in Rogers Park for too long. Glad you had fun and came back with such fantastic souvenirs.

13. Chris says:

Hello! It’s Chris from Briar Rose Fibers! I am happy you liked the color of the sock yarn. Heidi specifically ordered that for you! You have an awesome website!