Tuesday, February 28, 2006

llrib7.jpg
the adventure in handpaint continues…

An amazing tribute to the Power of Ribbing! Who would think this little anenome-like creature would bloom into

llrib6.jpg

But bloom the little sleeve did, and I am well on my way knitting the yoke of my Ribby Pulli. Now it’s getting interesting – hmmm…

The original Orangecrush Ribby Pulli (knit in 2001) had a funnel-neck, which was what I was going to go for here. I’m looking at it from across the room and thinking a scoop-neck just might be better on this version because I am planning on wearing it over a long-sleeved blouse. It is wool; I wanted the Ribby to have short sleeves to do some temperature control for Indoor Wear.

So maybe, I better listen to the funkay muse and go with a modified scoop neck!

The interesting patterns being formed as this piece grows continues to intrigue. Here is my original swatch for the yarn…

llrib8.jpg

…little angled stripes broken up by sage colored zigzags…

How this translates into the exciting variation that has happened is Weird Science, baby. And I love it!

Although you can knit with two balls to get a non-pooling event, most of the time, I prefer to see what the yarn dyer might have had in mind for a straight through performance. I’m seeing all sorts of wonderful dyeing going on all over knitting blogland – dyers – when you make a colourway, what is the most intriguing thing you’re going for?

29 Responses to “Tuesday, February 28, 2006”

1. Scout says:

Woah! That’s wild! I’m actually about to go to Lowe’s right now to see if I can McGyver a warping board to dye my yarn.

2. Jen says:

I love the sweater — it looks great! I agree, I think the scoop neck looks terrific. Although the shape looks like a little summer top. Maybe make the same thing in some summer weight yarn as a standalone top? I would buy that pattern!

3. suzanne says:

Oh my – looking at it on the chair and seeing where it “zigs & zags” I believe this is going to do interesting things to your waist (minimize) and bustline (emphasize). Which is, after all, what every sweater should strive to accomplish!!

4. dejamo says:

That is truly amazing! I love the pattern the colors make–you probably couldn’t have made it happen if you’d tried, yet it looks like you planned it that way.

It’s going to be a beautiful sweater. I also agree–it’s begging for a scoop neck.

WOOT! I didn’t think about the bosom enhancement (always a plus!)

Later this spring, Chic Knits will be releasing a Ribby Pulli offering with a variety of necklines…

I’ve just started to get the fibers to test…

6. Beth S. says:

That sweater is WILD! :-)

Scoop neck, definitely.

I agree that a scoop neck would look fabulous!

8. margene says:

This is so much fun! Another pattern I just can’t wait to see (and knit!).

9. Cathi says:

It’s gorgeous- I can’t believe how perfectly the pooling turned out! Can’t wait to see a model shot!

10. Imbrium says:

And now I want mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I think a scoop neck would be lovely.

11. Roxanne says:

I’ve just branched out into dyeing yarn and when I see your sweater, this looks lovely! It’s the kind of effect I’m after…no pooling, colours go well together and just the right amount of “punch” to the colours without being atrocious together. I’m waiting yet for someone to have a FO of my yarns…so I can see if I have accomplished what I’m after. I’ve seen so many posts “against” variegated yarns but if the colours flow properly, I think they’re quite lovely so thanks for showing that!

12. Kim says:

The sweater looks great, as all your creations do, but I’m really wondering what the print or painting is next to your bookcase in the picture of the Pulli spread out on the back of your chair? It’s beautiful.

13. Leah says:

Definitely scoop it, bay-bee! That beauty screams scoop neck!

When I dye (snicker) I have been aiming for the colors I see in the things that are beautiful in my eyes, or that I see in nature.

So far my hand dyed roving have names like Tornado Alley, Bearded Iris, Bird of Paradise and Chocolate Covered Cherries!

14. Becky says:

That is some seriously cool pooling. It reminds me of zebra stripes. Snazzy!

15. Melissa G says:

Put my vote down for a scoop of mint chocolate chip!

16. Marg says:

Purty, purty, purty, Gal! I’m with you on the scoop neck — or even one of those cool square necklines, eh?

17. Delica says:

Can’t wait to see what this sweater looks like over a long sleeve – it’s a good look

18. Karen B. says:

Casting my vote (but definitely!) for scoopage. The sweater actually looks pretty cool as is!

19. Gina says:

I love that crazy, ziggy, zaggy coloration going on. Wonderful!

20. Zonda says:

I love it! The colors are awesome. Can’t wait to see it finished…oh yeah and the pattern :)

21. Amy Lu says:

That would make a great scoopy sweater! I love the lightening flashs on the front, tres chic!

22. Janet says:

That sweater is fantastic! I love how the colors are striping! Definitely scoop neck! I predict you will get lots of compliments from strangers when you wear it!

23. sarah says:

Your site isn’t called Chic Knits for nothing!!

I love it.

24. Helen says:

I love the sweater. Are you going to update the ribby shell pattern to include sleeve options???

Great question!

The Ease Factor for Cardigans, Pullovers and Shells is too different to just put sleeves on the Shell – the Pulli will be a completely different offering because I’ll have to adjust the ease (larger)…

26. Sahara says:

From a little sleeve does the mighty top grow. I’m SO GLAD you didn’t return to the funnel neck idea. That’t where the yarn would have messed with you, and formed an embarrassing pool. The scoop will be lovely.

I’ve tried dyeing and love it, but the prep work

27. Therese says:

Hope you put the pattern in your boutique. BTW, address pls for the Aussie knitting mag. Thanks, Therese

28. Ann says:

Wow! Can’t believe what the stripes did. You couldn’t have WISHED for a better effect. So electrifying! You’ll be 1,000,000 kilowatts in that thing. xoxo

29. knit chick says:

Wow. Who would have thunk it?