Monday Morning Mirth June 21, 2010

Monday Morning Mirth

Maybe I’ve been on the road for too long this summer already, but Whoops! A major trend has almost passed me by: Underwear as Outerwear!

summer-lingerie

mad-bustiNow, I hate to be a downer, but didn’t we already go through this a few years ago? Is it Soon Enough to repeat the Madonna-fueled bustier craze that left casualties all over the urban runway? (Let’s not speculate what C. Aquilera was thinking when she sported the blinking heart on the recent MTV Movie awards. You’re a Mom now! Stop that!)

Apparently not.

However. If you must, you must.

Tips from an expert: “How are department stores dealing with lingerie dressing? “I recommend moderation,” says Neiman Marcus senior vice president and fashion director Ken Downing. His suggestion for taking the trend off the runway is a creative one: “Satin tap pants with lace trim can replace a skirt for a look that is modern and new..” Eh? [Dude, only if you model it for us...nah.]

OR

Bergdorf Goodman’s Linda Fargo. “I’m foreseeing a spike in lace-edge slips emerging from hemlines…” Forgive me but this was something my Mom drilled into me as a big Oh-No-You-Didn’t although I confess I loved the peek-a-boo.

Chic Knits recommendation: try this instead — a gorgeous slip of a dress from Chanel…

chanel-crochet-dress

8 Responses to “Monday Morning Mirth June 21, 2010”

1. CindyCindy says:

I adore the Chanel dress. Lingerie as outerwear? Meh.

2. pixie says:

I do have a thing for corsets, but thats about as far as I would ever go in that direction, and really I don’t have much occasion for wearing a corset :)

3. Maura says:

It’s worth noting that in S. Korea last year, slips that had been designed to be seen under shorter skirts were quite fashionable… but the hems on them were often very creative, not your mother’s skirts & slips….

4. Love your chanel recommendation. Not feeling the whole underwear as outerwear thing either! :)

5. Seanna Lea says:

Even if I was as slender as those models (and I’m not a large woman), I don’t think I will ever have the chutzpah to pull it off. I have a hard enough time wearing something that shows more than 2 inches of my back at the nape of the neck!

6. Karen B. says:

Methinks the looks provides fascinating runway fodder – especially the sheer socks with sandals trend – but that even trendsetting women would have a hard time incorporating it fully into real like.

Bustiers? Again? I admit to liking the look of knitted or crocheted lace peeking out from beneath a complementary hemline.

I must say, I am liking the sheer socks with heeled sandals… but not with the tap pants!! Gak

8. Michelle says:

GASP! Somebody needs to whip up an “inspired by” pattern for that Chanel dress ASAP! I’m with you, girl. Underwear is appropriately titled to be worn as such.