How Cold is Too Cold Tuesday January 5, 2010

To make one’s self feel warmer in the face of unremitting CHILL, I find it helps to look at weather maps!

Hello Seattle! Hi there Santa Fe! I envy your mid-bracket double digits :)

Flying in my mind to Baja, or Florida, pronto!

because really, HUGZ for the Midwest, South, East Coast, and Canada! Whew. Check out the Royal Blue swath: C.O.L.D. finger.

We’re especially breathless over here, because, it’s 15°/4° (temp/windchill). I have a hat on while I’m typing this. And 50/50 wool/alpaca socks (warm!). And long johns under my jammies.

Baby, it’s cold outside!

So it’s time for some Real World Woolies.

Check out this yarn:
Chic Knits Curly Cowl

I got this intriguing super-chunky yarn awhile back from Knit 1 on Lincoln Ave. It is “Handspun Yarn by Sandy” who is a fabulous spinner from Wisconsin and the label says it’s 7 oz of Purple Costwold Wool (55 yds).

Maybe you spinners out there can tell me what it’s called when there’s little “tails” and puffs of wool spun into the strand? I adore it! The colors in this are just glorious and before I knew it, I was making a heavenly Cowl (my new obsession) from this bulky wonderment.

Someone awhile back suggested I get going on some Thrummed Mittens to protect my hands and although I haven’t gone that route yet, this is the neck version without all the work.

Here’s the right side of the Cowl-In-Progress, basically smooth(er):
Chic Knits Chunky Cowl

Here’s the reverse or towards-the-neck side, really loopy and lots of tails:
Chic Knits Knitting Patterns

It’s totally curlier on the *wrong side* of the knitting — and THAT’s what reminded me of the thrumming. So in effect, this tail-y, taggy yarn self-thrums ;p

You might agree that I’m going to be fluffed, petted, and protected by this extra curly-top layer close to my skin.

Hope I look as good as my friend here:
Chic Knits Curly Cowl

Stay Warm! Drink lots of Water! Wear lots of luscious lotions. And do not forget your huggy, snuggy scarves…

15 Responses to “How Cold is Too Cold Tuesday January 5, 2010”

1. Patty says:

That gal’s got nothing on you! The cowl is great!

2. Elizabeth says:

I think the word you’re looking for is “tailspun”
    is a video showing how it can be made.
    That purple cowl is great!

3. Wendy says:

I have very similar yarn, about 750 yards of it, that I bought at my first Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival many years ago. Mine is grey and all from one alpaca in Texas as I recall. I think her name was Jasmine. Anyway, I tried a short jacket in it many years ago but didn’t have enough. I’ve thought I should just use it as a great shawl collar like on your Debbie Bliss sweater of a few years ago, I just need to find a complementary yarn for the body. With mine, I actually think I like the reverse side better. Looks great and stay warm. You know, I lived in Chicago once, the winter of 1979. Need I say more? Yours from Baltimore.

4. Corinne says:

I was obsessed with thrummed mittens last year, and I’m so happy that I have two pairs for this cold snap. You should make some, they’re worth the effort. Mine have long cuffs because I detest that gap between coat and mitten cuff.

5. Heather says:

Great cowl! Sending warm thoughts your way from Central Coast of California (don’t hate me!)

6. Melissa G says:

Nice! And when it’s not quite so cold you can wear it inside out! Currently I’m sitting at the computer with a Clapotis wrapped around my neck and hooded over my head with wool hiking socks inside insulated snow clogs, thinking of hooded scarves and handspun buffalo fingerless mitts.

7. Joyce in Chicago says:

I think the little tails are called “locks”, just like small lengths of ready-to-spin wool that isn’t prepared as a roving or batt.

8. Ann says:

That’s so kewl–and I’m not usually a fan of the snarly-type yarns. In your hands, of COURSE, it looks brill. And WARM.

9. Patricia says:

Holy crap – look at Australia on the map, it’s like Earth has its own giant Red Spot.
    Happy New Year to you, BonnieMarie!

10. Joan says:

Ooh! That looks very warm!

11. Rose says:

It looks like boucle’, sort of. And we’re cold here in Norfolk (for us anyway), although no where near as cold as where you are, I think.

12. Annegret says:

Looks very interesting! It is warm, that`s all that matters
    Happy new year.

Annegret

Thanks so much!

And Annegret — you’ve inspired me to put a link to Global temps in the sidebar so I can dream about world temperatures (and relate to all of my other COLD neighbors in the northern globe winter)!

It is -5° C / 22° F in Germany right now. BRRrrrrrrrr…..

Thrummed mittens and a cowl, that should be my next project. I will get on it right away.

15. Talia says:

That is such lovely yarn and beautiful photographs of it! I was going to crawl into bed and watch tv but I think I might just get our my needles instead!