Tuesday, June 7, 2005

parisnotebook.gif  3

“Hey BonneBonne, where’s the Knitting? Whatever happened to the airport knitting? Have you stopped knitting or what?”…

bisect1.jpg

VOILA! Here is the first part of the Bisect Shell! After I landed in Paris and had my first SitDown&Knit with Fluffa and Jackie-Blue, it was ripped and re-knit. Something dubious (yarn jet lag?) happened over the Atlantic to my gauge – some stitches were loosey-goosey; others right on. So, OFF with its thread!

It made it through a second pass when I was overcome with Yarn Envy! One just can’t sit on the couch next to another knitter and ignore their work. One must interupt one’s own work (and the other knitter’s) with questions about their project and fiber, non?

And when it’s the most excellent Becky knitting, you know it’s gonna be G-O-O-D. She was working on a fine little sweater out of something called Phildar *Phil Lin* a cotton (40%), linen (15%), and viscose (45%) blend. (VISCOSE: read about the beast here.) I was a lost(found) cause and ABANDONDED ship on the GGH Java yarn (beautiful stuff but the fabric it made was too-heavy for the Bisect), right at the 4″ mark AGAIN.

Who could blame me? The Phil Lin is beautiful – light weight, summery – and I was a goner…

When we found ourselves in La Samaritaine department store (after a fine lunch at Henri IV wine bar on the Ilse with Jackie’s wonderful friends from NY), what do you think I did?

Well first of all, I was overcome with gratitude that the store had such impecible manners that they put THIS right in front of me to welcome me to Paris!

sam1.jpg

What the? Immediately cross my path with some b.Lime and what do you think I will do?

sam2.jpg

RUN right over to the Phildar Boutique and get an eyeful! The Phildar people are absolutely meticulous about the presentation of their wares. They are set out with care and attention to detail; not a Thread is Out of Place.

Here you could see the entire range of offerings and I quickly found the Phil Lin, in a color becoming dear to my heart: Natural!

20 Responses to “Tuesday, June 7, 2005”

1. Michelle says:

NO, No, No. Do not knit. I need a pattern for your new cutaway cardigan for a wedding in July. Please you must post it soon. I’ve already been scouting the yarns out.
    Please, please, please…
    Michelle

2. Leslie says:

Yes, and apparently, viscose is tres flambe. Sirdar recently had to recall a ton of yarn–Fizz–after an Irish woman spontaneously combusted (happily without injury) when lighting her fire.

3. Juno says:

Is that gorgeous lime sweater from a Phildar magazine? DO Tell.

4. Jackie says:

Coming along nicely! I think my Phil Lin tank is going to be next.

5. Liz says:

Nice pics! Beautiful colors. Did you bring the green sweater back with you? :)

6. caroline says:

Oh, Chica,
    what Juno said. How can we get the pattern for that limey-licious sweater?
    please, pretty please?

7. Ilse says:

Bonne

Love the photos!!! The Lime Phildar is gorgeous!! Do you know what pattern this was? Was it in one of their magazines. I must HAVE it!!!!

8. claudia says:

That lime sweater is a fabulous design. I’ll be stealing some of them ideas…..

9. Susan says:

Bonne, Are you going to offer your Cutaway Cardigan soon?????

10. jacqueline says:

i need a lime sweater…….now! glad you had a great trip!

11. Terry says:

Wonderful – that sweater knew YOU! were coming for it. And your psots are wonderful reads! Love it! Happy you had wonderful times there – I am really enjoying reading about Paris and you. PLEASE!! Tell you fans about the b. Lime sweater. Terry in SF

12. Whitney says:

Must know the name of that pattern and where to find it! :-)

13. Silvia says:

Love the lime! And that yarn section in Samaritane is much nicer now! I’d never leave and end up with all my holiday snaps backed up to yarn displays.

14. Silvia says:

The lime sweater’s in Phildar 16 – 25 Tendances http://www.phildar.fr/fr/p_collection/fat/429_sportswear/10_11.asp

The b.Lime sweater is from the spring Phildar pattern book 429 – (“16-25 ans Tendances” thanks Sil!). It was a shop model in two (!) Phildar stores we made it to. They must have an army of knitters making their samples (envy envy)…

I couldn’t find any other details – anybody?

The Phil Lin sweater I’m making (called *Bisect*) is my own design…

The Cutaway is in the works – don’t have a definite date – needs testing and writing :) Damn that pesky day job…

16. Jenny says:

Looks like a wonderful trip! I’m so jealous!

17. Ingridh says:

I love the way they ahve the colours lined up in the spectrum….a shop after my own heart!

So are you making the limey treat they had on display?

18. Nancy says:

ok…add to list: cutaway sweater;bisect shell,lime sweater, quit job, more time for knitting.

Even thought I had that Phildar Pattern Mag in my hot little hands right before I got on the airplane to come home (you can buy some Phildar mags at the local newsstands – wow!) I put it down because I had an overflowing bag…

OOPS – won’t be making it anytime soon! Well, anyway, I better finish all those other KIPs I have going before starting something else. DAMN that Day Job, eh, Nancy?!

20. Mary P says:

Yarn in a department store? God Bless Amer…uh, France!