Thursday, November 11, 2004

girl75.jpg

From the DIRTY Little Secret Files:
Two things happening here:

- first, the apparent need for cappage, due to the inclement weather

- second, the apparent need to run and get a camera and document it.

But no, no simple photograph will do! It must be grainy; it must have giant hands in the foreground; it must be a REFLECTION from a BATHROOM MIRROR!

In honor of the un-counted times I’ve lost control and found a camera in my hands in that very room, in that very posture, smirking, I’ve dubbed a title onto this photo to remind myself of my visual redundancy. I have no idea if the count is correct, but it seems likely. By doing this, in the photo world, it now becomes A SERIES!!! Who knows! Maybe some patron will spot me some day and I’ll hang on the walls of MOMA at last.

NOT.

But in the meantime, I’m hot on the trail of the Christmas Elves, flinging hats and scarves in their direction, hoping to hit a bag-o-presents or two. I’ve been making bucket hats in the mornings with my coffee and blogging.

This is my first Aran Bucket made from OK – those with severe ACRYLIC ALLERGIES AVERT YOUR EYES – Red Heart Classic! This took one little skein (3 oz) of Color #0971 Camoflage. I think I paid $1.77 for it, but it could’ve been less…

I love it and plan on living in it and pity the poor teenager that was going to get it as a gift (but will still GET IT because, heeehe, I splurged and bought 3 whole skeins). In fact, I have a hoodie I made out of this yarn a couple of years ago. My mom and I went on a Kmart bender in Northern Michigan where the LYS Beast is almost extinct and most folks get their goods at a Walmart or Kmart. Me too…

Today’s WX: “…Blustery, colder! Readings 15-20

20 Responses to “Thursday, November 11, 2004”

1. Karen says:

I love the hat AND the hoodie! Very cool, and indestructible too:-)

2. maryse says:

thanks for showing us that even a talented knitter such as yourself isn’t “above” using the ole red heart. the hat looks great.

3. Terri says:

Cool hat! I was thinking of you the other day when I was in Ricki’s (a Canadian chain of women’s wear stores). What did I see but a commercial version of your ribbie cardi (zipped) in gorgeous Shrek green!

4. Becky says:

Love that camo hat! There you go, tempting me with the accessories again…

5. Trope says:

Ha! My first long-underwear day was Monday, in the depths of the cold cold school tours… I guess I am on a tighter schedule than you this year! :)

6. Laurie says:

The camo bucket hat completely ROCKS! I’m all over it.

7. Silvia says:

Is that a camo bucket made out of red heart? Fabulous! It’s indestructible. Brilliant.

8. Stacie says:

I didn’t know that Red Heart had a Camoflage print. Very cool! I think Red Heart is great when you want a low maintenance high durable item. Throw it in the washer and dryer and go. No worries :)

9. Maureen says:

Love your schedule for long johns. For my grandpa, who was in and out of a meat cooler all day, it was Labor Day to Memorial Day.

My theory is you aren’t really cold until the temperature falls below your age. Of course, I discovered that theory the year I was 26 which is the temperature at which flesh freezes! My personal “too cold” threshold is much higher now. LOL

10. Tanya says:

My oldest son might like that Camo color. I need to seek that one out. It is very hip and cool :)

Tanya

11. Meg says:

Just when I think I must be the lowliest to even *look* at Red Heart, ChicKnits goes and makes it ok. Do you have to whisk any pills off your camo hoodie with the sweater stone?

12. Melissa G says:

I admit to being a (former) snob. It happened when I knit my first sweater out of synthetic something in the summer. Being a compulsively tight knitter I got blisters. Since then I have avoided the syn until this summer then I ventured into Hobby Lobby for Landscapes and also found fun chunkies–can you say three pairs of slippers in less than a week? The recipients love them!

13. Gaile says:

I’m also glad you aren’t above using something like Red Heart – EVERY yarn has a purpose, and certainly if it wasn’t selling, they’d stop making the stuff! I love your camouflage bucket, very chic! (I originally dropped in here just to get the link to your sitcom chic, which I’m knitting up in Patons Katrina). Thank you (again) for sharing all these lovely patterns!

Red Heart Rocks! There’s a yarn for every reason, and teeheeeheee, I don’t need ANY reasons to buy it!

Pillage on my Hoodie: minimal – haven’t resorted to shaving because it hasn’t been necessary. I usually use a disposable razor to remove ‘em, carefully, but of course.

15. Jeanine says:

Just this past weekend I mentioned to some of my knitting buddies that I would be making a bucket hat in camouflage. Wouldn’t ya know… I also have 3 skeins of RH.

16. deb/yent says:

Baby socks are adorable in that camo yarn, especially when the proud dad is a hunter. Baby’s mom wasn’t so impressed. d

17. Toby Wollin says:

Our schedule up here in Upstate NY runs like this: The day you change the filter on the furnace and turn on the heat is the day you pull out the longjohns. ‘Course, I’d rather wear my wool tights from Canada than longjohns; they are definitely snuggy-er and I don’t have the …mmm…going to the bathroom logistical issues. We’re up 1.7″ of snow for the season already, though for any whiney-babies out there, I remind ‘em of the towns at the eastern end of Lake Ontario, which had 6′ (that’s 72 inches, folks)of snow during a one-week period this past winter.

18. Vickie says:

Oh my goodness! Saw the picture, purchased the bucket pattern, already had the yarn and less than 24 hours later: have a camo hat. My Christmas list just got a lot easier. Thanks, Bonne Marie!

ROCK ON, Vickie, you goddess, you…

20. Excellent hat; it looks practically authentically camouflaged! My fave Red Heart is the one called Fiesta, with all those loud primary colors gone south-of-the-border. I’d better get some on my way home today to make some holiday buckets for the nieces :-)

P.S. The BarnYarn dye-job is splendiferous!