Clown Knitting: Desperate Measures July 25, 2013

Sometimes, the silver lining in the cloud is actually platinum…

While changing skeins in some hand-paint, I realized that there would be a much smoother transition if some mixing of the two could take place.

This, but of course, is a popular technique where you alternately knit a couple of rows using two – different balls of yarn until it looks nice and mingled with no pooling…

Trouble was, I’d used all but a couple of yards of the first yarn AND because I’d continued knitting a section upwards, I couldn’t simply rip back to free up a few rows worth of yarn. Talk about complicated!

Then I remembered: The Swatch.

It just might have enough to do the trick added to the small amount on hand.

So I frogged it – using my ball winder.

Chic Knits Knitting Blog

Then it occurred to me -

The center of the winder could be detached from its base.

So, I took it off the winder and lightly moistened the outside of the new skein.

Then, I stuck the whole thing in a sandwich-sized plastic bag and MICROWAVED it for 20 seconds.

Chic Knits

VOILA!

Chic Knits Knitting Blog

Un-kinked fluffy yarn (cooled down of course.) !!

**…note…pictures taken after microwaving & I realized how cool this was! ;p

9 Responses to “Clown Knitting: Desperate Measures July 25, 2013”

1. Ellen Mason says:

Brilliant idea to microwave the kinks out!

2. Laura says:

You are brilliant!

3. meg says:

You are the MacGyver of knitting.

4. Patty says:

I can’t even add to these comments! You are the bomb! ;-) Now…can I do that with an entire sweater’s worth? ;-)

5. Would it have worked the same if you removed the yarn from the winder shaft?

Patty – I was wondering about a bigger quantity too – pretty sure you would have to moisten the ball at a few points during the winding process to enable later “steam” action to the interior of the ball -

Not sure about removing the yarn from the shaft – but I think a little tension on the yarn didn’t hurt…

& Michele – the only time I’ve “skeined” knit yarn then de-kinked, I totally immersed the whole thing in water and soaked for awhile. The water put tension/weight on the yarn somewhat.

Sounds like a future “science” experiment I’d like to try!! ;p

7. Cris says:

Gotta admit you are one smart cookie.

8. Ann Devine says:

Ye dogs and little fishes, we’re using the same ball winder. I feel so special now…. I will have to remember this for unkinking swatches.

hahahahahaaa – we are both so very special!!! And blessings on you sista for SWATCHING! Sometimes, it seems like that’s a “lost art”.

I’ve had this winder forever! Just saw a super-sized one at a LYS and it was so exciting! The spindle area was at least twice as large, maybe 3?