Monday, March 31, 2008

Monday Morning Mirth

stateofill_0061.jpg

What’s more fun than a trip to Great America? Why, a visit to your local government Money Pit!

Here in Chicago we are the incredibly lucky owners of the State of Illinois Bldg on Randolf St.

From the outside, it looks like a big flying saucer.

From the inside, 16 stories up where I took this picture, it looks, well, pretty empty!

The building, designed by Helmut Jahn, is a semi-circle of offices that hug one long curve on the North side of the building where the workers freeze in the winter and are baked by the South facing windows in the summer.

BUT I LOVE the Elevators! They go pretty darn fast and give an unparalleled views of the entire spread all the way down to the food court on the basement level or just a guy sipping his Starbucks in the vator next to you…

7 Responses to “Monday, March 31, 2008”

1. Issy says:

Makes me dizzy ! But the floor design looks like a lace shawl!!

2. Kate G. says:

Gosh, at first I thought you were showing us the inside of super collider. Here, in SF, our Federal building is an award winning example of Green Architecture, BUT the employees hate it. Makes you wonder about the feds, eh?

3. Alli says:

Isn’t that the building that’s in the final scene in Running Scared with Billy Crystal, Gregory Hines and the guy from NYPD Blue?

My dad loved that movie and we were from Chicago, so it was a VHS staple in our house! :)

4. Deborah Bourque says:

It looks pretty awesome, better than our money pit, I’m sure you heard of the “Boston Big Dig”.

5. Gina says:

Elevators scare me, but this building (and its elevators) are lovely!

6. Beetsie says:

This was building was included in the ‘Happy Hour Tour’ of modern skyscrapers in Chicago which my husband and I took through the Archicenter when visiting Chicago in August. Fun building, great tour, wonderful city!

7. sahara says:

Gosh, I am SO OUTTA HERE, for the Architecture tour when I go on vacation! Would you believe I work in the new building by Renzo Piano (at least on the outside; don’t believe everything you read about it). Sorry, I gotta be covert, but the eyes here are everywhere. Anyway, it’s already falling apart.

But I gotta say, the cafeteria alone is worth the building. In the “Gray Lady” our cafeteria reminded me of my OLD high school. Here, we’re in the 21st Century, thank goodness.

As for the elevators? All I will say, is that there is no button panel on the inside. Uh oh, they’re coming to get me…