Tuesday, November 27, 2007

hatsdrawing.gif

Interestingly enough, even though its almost December (!) Chicago people are still firting with the weather.

Even though we know better, even though there might be 40 mph cool-running winds at the bus stop, we are trying to go Bare Naked.

Hatless.

Glovless.

Witless.

Not I.

I admit, for several days, I tried to pretend it wasn’t really cold enough and was forced to repeatedly reach for a gnarly black polar fleece headband I found in one of the many, many pockets of my parka. It is my go-to emergency wrapper, the don’t get caught without it number, and if you live in an environment like this one, you know what I mean.

Just WHEN did it get to be Serious Hatteous Season?

I’d say the day last week when there were 50 mph winds in some parts of town and it just seared through your nostrils like a dental drill.

Sorry.

Chicago is not kind. We are the City of Big Shoulders. The City of Big Winds. Big Chill.

So now that I’m out of Big Denial, I went diving in the closet and tore through all the many, many hats I’ve accumulated.

Most of them are now laundered and safely on their way to the SavArmy because I’ve discovered a very unusual thing.

I only want to wear things I’ve made myself on my head.

knitting patterns

And if it’s any indication of a trend, it would appear the hat I most reach for is…

A BEANIE!

Doesn’t blow off. Beckham made it coolio. You can dress it up or plump it up to meet the Windy Need.

The hats above were the ones I chose to keep for myself. And I noticed that I was within the Stylings as indicated by the drawing I made a couple of years ago on the #66 bus. Today’s #66

21 Responses to “Tuesday, November 27, 2007”

1. Cute post! And I lurve your drawing! Made me LOL!

Now, you may just turn me into a hat person!

2. Maureen says:

Funny you should mention hats blowing off. If you’d been out on McClurg Court last Wednesday evening you might have seen me dodging taxis and chasing my Felted Bucket Hat down the street and plucking it from a puddle in the middle of the road. Nice thing about felted wool/mohair. It didn’t get soaked in that puddle but just laughed at that rainwate! I popped it back on my head and took a little extra care on Huron Street where the wind whips around the corner.

3. Amy Artisan says:

Last week while waiting for the bus I decided it was time to bring out the hats (& also knit up a few more). My airport knitting on the way to Thanksgiving last week was a beret – it is doing a great job of keeping me warm this week. After the holidays I hope to make my felted bucket that I picked up at your Arcadia show last Dec. :)

4. Laura K. says:

Too, too funny! My Mom, who is recovering from chemo, has been sporting #1 around the house, which she proudly informs everyone that she bought at Walgreens for $1.50 (those depression era ladies love themselves a bargain…) I finally convinced her to let me make her a hat and took her to Hobby Lobby the day after Thanksgiving. I now have three skeins of soft acrylic (there are only so may wars I can win)and Mom-approved patterns to keep her noggin warm.

5. rachel says:

Hats! One of my favorite projects. Like you, most of mine are handmade, and the 1 storebought cap that lingers in my closet is just there for design inspiration.

6. Seanna Lea says:

It’s so nice to see all the hats lined up. I need to launder a whole mess of hats (and scarves) soon. I just keep forgetting.

I need to make more hats. I love them, and I think my family likes them more than socks. Off to think about hat yarn….

8. Beth S. says:

I desperately need some nice new knitted hats! The one I made last year is pretty, but a little tight, and doesn’t really flatter me.

I wish I’d been practical and spent the summer working on hats and mittens instead of thin lacy things…

9. Karen B. says:

I love your collection! I’ve got to make a couple of close-fitting beanies for myself.

BTW, I love the last item on your list: just moved here and doesn’t know any better. Ha!

10. Emily says:

Thank you for that fashion forecast! I wore my winter coat for the first time today and decided that I desperately need a new one. New coat means multiple new hats to go with!

11. meg says:

I agree – handknit by me. Anything else is robbing me of my fun. The wind was so strong up here today I was holding on to my beret for fear it’d take off!

12. meg says:

I don’t see your Spidey hat in that grouping!

13. Knitting on the edge – live dangerously. Nice collection.

I recently cut my hair a couple inches shorter and now I have an urge to knit berets. We don’t often get cold enough in Seattle to absolutely need a hat, plus I’m in California right now, so I haven’t taken action, but the idea has germinated. And been nutured by watching La Vie en Rose last night.

Spidey’s been waiting for its dunk. I wore it all day yesterday and received several envious stares on ze bus.

15. Delica says:

I like your winter hat inventory. I dumped out my storage cube of hats, scarves, gloves, mittens and weeded it out. Made by yourself for yourself are the best! One of the first hats I ever knit was your one-hour hat!

16. Paula says:

Too right. Over here on the East Coast we

17. technikat says:

How does that alpaca hat wear?
    Since alpaca has less memory than wool
    I wonder if it doesn’t get all stretched
    out. I’m really interested since I just
    bought some chuncky alpaca yarn to make
    my daughter a warm hat.

3 inches? *faints dead away* Wow, that’s cutting it close.

I love when that happens! I keep those last little bits and tie a length from every project onto a length from previous projects which are tied together into a loooong strand and rolled into a ball. Kinda like the way smokers used to take the foils from the packs and attach them into a solid ball. Sounds crazy, but I can still unwind the ball and remember what project every strand was from.

20. Patricia says:

Awwww, it’s great when you just have a couple of inches left, yes? On the other hand, if I’m knitting something that I send out into the world, I like to have a couple of feet to wind up into a butterfly and keep with the pattern and my notes.

Thank you so much for the discussion about hats, I want to make a bunch for the local Street Kids van, but I hadn’t been able to decide what would be “acceptable” to kids; black and/or grey seem to be the thing on Toronto streets. (Where people are also flirting with the weather, BTW. Huge dump of snow last night.)