Monday, November 26, 2007

Monday Morning Mirth

knitting patterns

If you are *lucky* enough to live in an area where there are parking garages with so many floors they rival the Sears Tower, you’ve probably lost your car.

I am notorious for this activity, maybe because I’m usually a bus rider and not a driver, maybe because I have a short attention span and am rushing rushing around.

Problem SOLVED!

I have to Salute! the builders of garages who now offer pattern recognition coupled with theme music in an attempt to Wake Us Up so we wanderers can remember where the H we parked the car.

This is what I saw leaving a garage the other day. The picture was accompanied by Kermit singing “It’s Not Easy Being Green”. ;p

What’s your favorite?

12 Responses to “Monday, November 26, 2007”

That’s great! We have the number and color thing here too, but I haven’t seen a reference to music before. What a fantastic idea!

2. Maureen says:

O’Hare where each floor is a Chicago sports team & their song. My favorite is “Bear Down, Chicago Bears”; it’s great marching music.

3. claudia says:

That is genius. There is NOTHING like that ’round here.

4. meg says:

Aaw, *that’s* gotta be my favorite. Takes more talent than I’ve got to loose a car in our rural environment ;p Either that urban planner was a woman, or his wife gave him that fantastic idea! Yay innovation! :)

5. elizabeth m says:

In the late 80s I was back visiting Chicago after moving away in 1984. I went to the Art Institute and parked in the public underground ramp near there. When I came back, I went one level lower than I had parked, not realizing my mistake. I was walking around for about 20 minutes, approaching tearful panic-mode, when a security guy in a little electric cart came by and asked me if everything was ok. He suggested that maybe I was on the wrong level. Stroke of genius! He gave me a ride up one level where there were many more cars, including mine. Boy, did I feel stupid.

6. monica says:

If I remember correctly, the parking garages at O’Hare have the same thing..Or maybe midway? There’s one across the street from the building that Lynette works at that has famous bridges. But no songs about bridges. :(

When I was a kid, my mom used to sing The Rainbow Connection to me nearly every night. It makes me cry when I hear it now.

8. Mary says:

I just parked on that EXACT level in that EXACT garage last weekend! What are the chances in this big ole City of Garages?! I think the froggy graphic is so cute. I also like the Northwestern Memorial Hospital garage — it has old ’50s and ’60s crooners going, one per floor.

9. Cathy says:

Cool! The Orlando airport parking garage has that kind of thing – by the elevators there are big displays of sculptures of Florida wildlife – a different animal for each floor. “We parked by the owls.” or “We parked by the wild boars.” They improved it so that the elevator buttons have the landmark animals on them.

10. =Tamar says:

We have the numbers and colors but no music and no animals, yet. I like the ones that have individual numbers for each space, and I saw one that had electronic signaling so that they could tell exactly how many spaces were still open (if any – vital when they charge you just to go in and go out again). I do wonder whether all those garages are paying the royalties for every rendition of the songs or whether they got some kind of multi-use deal.

11. Carol says:

How cool! There aren’t many really tall buildings with that many levels of parking. It’s usually a long walk in the heat. FL is no fun!

12. Alexia says:

A shopping centre I once visited had racks of small cards near each entry door which said “you are parked on Pink level, near the KMart entrance”. On the way in, if you needed it, you could collect your little card to keep with you for later when you wanted to return to your car.