Tuesday, August 21, 2007

ff1_0008.jpg

There We go and Back Again

For a City Girl, it’s an imperative to Get Out of Town every once in awhile. For this City Girl, the more Country Days, the merrier! The sign above, at the entrance to the Allegan Co. Fairgrounds was a reminder, of sorts, to Let it Go. Let the City fall away, as mist receding over a far horizon. Leave it all behind and see what ye can see in the open air…

ff2_0012.jpg
the Briar Rose booth

And right off the bat, one sees what one cannot see in Town. I did not realize, the first time I went to a fiber fair that there would be Fiber Folk, people who were busy in their corner of the universe creating incredible things, things you could only see if you were Right There. Chris Rosen, from Briar Rose, is one of those people – painting yarn like none other that delights and entices.

Notice the lady on the right *trying on* the skeins on her arm! I was doing this over and over during the day too in addition to Sniffing. Oh. Don’t look at me like that. You do it too. Just enjoy that tiny bite of vinegar, please ;p I’d be happy to pass it your way…

ff3_0015.jpg
from l. to r. Karen, Lisa, Macarena, Nancy & Meg

But what really made this trip especially fun for me was the People! Over and over, we all crossed paths and found friends old and new. From the very beginning of the day, it was quite the adventure

17 Responses to “Tuesday, August 21, 2007”

1. Toby Wollin says:

oooo, fiber lust. I used to go to Rheinbeck years ago…have not gone in a long time. And you are right – you get to see all your old friends and sit and knit up a storm or spin..it is really great..except sometimes at Rheinbeck, it’s about 30 degrees(because it’s halfway through October) and it’s raining, and you can see your breath, and it’s muddy..but ooo, fiber and colory goodness..mmmm

2. Tonya says:

It was so nice to run into you at the fiber festival. Your new sock was amazing… I look forward to seeing the pattern here for sale. The sweater looks pretty sweet too and seem like it will have a VERY flattering shape for women of all shapes and sizes. That is one thing I truly love about your designs. They are modern, flattering and the construction is very accessible.

We had a great time and ended up getting invited to Windswept Farms to learn about sheep while sharing dinner with several vendors. There really are some amazing people in this world!

3. Patty says:

Could that be a lovely Sitcom Chic on Meg? If so it’s a beauty!

It looks like a wonderful time.

5. Corinne says:

Briar Rose, cleverly set up in front of the animal exhibits so I do all my purchasing before I see the rest of the show. Chris does color like no one else. That display grabs me and takes hold every time.

And isn’t that the lovely Sitcom Chic that Meg has donned? Knitting and sheep at the same time….*SwoonS*

7. Becky says:

Love the happy knitter photos :-)

8. Carol says:

Now that looks like great fun!

9. meg says:

This was the absolute *best* fiber fest I’ve ever attended, for so many reasons! Especially meeting such lovely people. I love, love the picture of that baby’s encounter with the sheep :)

10. Mary says:

I love Meg’s sweater, too! Sounds like a great day altogether.

11. Rob says:

“Woman trying on skeins” at Briar Rose is none other than our good good friend Deb Baker, from Columbus, Indiana

(she and Low Helen were on my blog rasslin’ over KPPPM years ago)

She came up from IN to go to Alleghan and spent the days on both sides of Saturday helping us with our big Summer Clearance Sale weekend!

12. oh, you’ve got me itching for the rhinebeck festival…

great pics!

13. Karin says:

And it looks like Meg is wearing a Sitcom Chic, is she?

That IS a Sitcom Chic Meg is wearing — lovely — made from good ole LB Cotton Ease in Mint!

15. louann says:

where did you find the wensleydale longwool, do you remember the name of the vendor. Thanks for the great post.

16. Paula says:

Living in a country where guns are not de rigeur, the sign in your first photo horrifies me. If I ever saw such a sign here, I would not be able to enjoy the fibre festival. Last photo is such a sharp contrast to the first.

I’m guessing deer hunters probably cross the fields there and they have posted that to discourage them from trespassing. I personally do not know anyone who owns a gun — they are not de rigeur among the population in the City or the Country.

This location out in the country hosts animal exhibitions, tractor pulls, and maybe some other kind of marketplaces. I’m not sure what prompted the Fairgrounds to post such a sign — now I wish I would’ve asked.