Thursday, July 19, 2007

Destination. Determination. Deliberation.

My ex-husband used to polish me off during an argument by commenting that everything I knew I’d learned from TV.

Perhaps.

These days, I’d have to say my Horizons are just a little more grand.

It is not unknown to stare fixedly at the Unknown, in these parts lately.

Just last night, right after I picked up my lace knitting from its basket, I was staring fixedly at a mess in my lap.

Maybe mess is too strong a word, but after several days of lanquishing, I’d started knitting the glorious Mystery Stole #3 again and immediately dropped a stitch. And then I stared. And stared. Hypmotized, to be sure. Stumped. Minutes ticking by.

And then I probed it with a hook. Hee. Nada.

And then I frogged real fast. It’s like closing your eyes and ripping off the bandaid from a hairy spot. Real Fast and its over. S-L-O-W and you suffer.

Fast and you’re on your way again in no time.

But the lesson learned? Don’t go too many days between knitting the MS#3 (or any other work-in-progress) because it might bite you.

And instead of getting to the end of Clue #2, like you’d been dreaming of, you are only on Row 137.

[hmm. a very good number. guess we’ll do a little happy dance and visualize wearing this somewhere fab.]

30 Responses to “Thursday, July 19, 2007”

1. Peggy says:

Your stole looks awesome. The presentation is unbelievable. And, I love your theories on HP.

2. Peggy says:

3. abby says:

You are still WAY ahead of me; I’ve already packed MS3 up and stashed it away in the dark recesses of my desk drawer. It’s looking great!

4. Ina says:

Thanks for the MS3 photo with background objects for scale. It looks great, as does the pedicure!

5. Wanda says:

Or if you leave MS3 too long by itself, you might just lose your mojo on it altogether (hehe!). Yours look great. Good luck!

6. Kathleen says:

Hi. Great MS3 picture – are you blocking as you go along? It is truly beautiful in black. I may have to knit it up again. Funny, but I’m also on row 137 and totally agree about not going too many days between knitting. I’m hoping to catch up to the end of Clue 3 this weekend and work Clue 4 during our HP break. Great theories regarding HP by the way. Someone at work was theorizing that Snape may be a vampire? Possible? Hmm

7. Pat says:

I put mine down and stretched it out for a picture while halfway through the row ….when I picked it up, I had lost the 5 center stitches then promptly dropped them 4 rows down! I tried (in vain as things got worse and worse) to pick up a reknit, but ended up tinking back 5 rows – got pretty good at it after a while!
    Your stole is beautiful!!

8. Meg says:

love that shot! it’s look fab so far.

9. Deirdre says:

They are EX for good reason…

Your stole is beautiful – love it in black…

10. stinkerbell says:

ummm that is pretty knitting… but really I want the shoes :)

11. karen w says:

Your MS3 beats my MS3. Yours looks great! I’m still on row 58. Have been since 7/4. I’m too tired at night to focus and too tired in the morning to get up early. And too busy on the weekends to commit time to it. Soooo. Looks like I need to take a couple of vacay days sometime soon. ;)(Oh, wait, I *do* have some time scheduled at my friend’s “cottage” up North. The cottage is a log home nicer than her home here. LOL)

12. claudia says:

Those are great shoes.

I think it’s looking amazing! I’m glad you were able to save it. I had to throw the towel in on my Swallowtail shawl. :-(

14. Cathi says:

I am loving watching you work on the Mystery Stole- thanks for sharing the progress.

And to add to the comiseration pot, one of my exes told me that my only hobby was drinking. He was super-classy.

15. Agnes says:

I don’t know why … but this picture is very sexy! :D I am eager to get Clue#4 too …

16. Romi says:

Very pretty! I lvoe the picture too. :)

17. Melanie says:

Something I’ve learned with lace knitting is to use a “lifeline” every once in a while. That way if you have to frog you can take it off the needles and go back to a row of clean live stitches. All you have to do is thread a long strand of cotton yarn through all the stitches on your needle and leave it there as you continue to the next rows. I do it every few rows and it’s a huge help. I usually do one every so many rows and then just pull the lower ones out after I have 2 or 3 in my knitting. I never fret over lace knitting anymore.

18. Melanie says:

p.s. your shawl is beautiful!

19. michellenyc says:

sorry i just have to

“I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE MOTHERF@*KIN SNAPES ON THIS MOTHERF*&^KIN PLANE!!!!”

it’s your fault – when i saw that snapes on a plane i almost spit out my coffee

20. ~S says:

Guess I may have to give up my Slow Bee status as I am almost caught up this week, row 186 from 96 last week. One of the knitters at my LYS who does lots of lace and is also doing this, made the suggestion of putting markers at 19, 31 (includes the middle stitch), and 30, leaving 19 sts at the end. Also take a highlighter and mark column 19 from the right and left side. That has helped me speed up my knitting as now I can work the edge chunks and the middle chunks. If I screw up I can fix it quickly within that section without having to go back to the start of the row to figure out where my screw up was. HTH someone. :) Love your stole so far.

Lifeline, lifeline, lifeline, yes good thing.
    Dang girl! I love those strappy little kitten heels, sooo sexy!

22. Carol says:

What s*xy photo! Ooo hoo! The shawl looks lovely. I do notice when creating anything, we gain momentum and a mojo for it. Put it down, and it can fizzle fast! I’m getting much more confident when ripping needs to happen these days. Happy weekend!

23. tllgrrl says:

1. The shawl is beautiful. Made me smile.
    2. SNAPES ON A PLANE!!! Made me have to clean the coffee off of my keyboard.

Brilliant.
    I really enjoyed the movie. It has that “Empire Strikes Back” vibe for me. I’m seriously thinking of heading over to Border’s tonight to knit and watch the release of the final book. I’ll Order of the Phoenix, Half-blood Prince and Deathly Hallows while I’m there.

24. tllgrrl says:

oops…that should be:
    I’ll BUY Order of the Phoenix, etc.

25. meg says:

I’m a such a slow-bee, I need to be poked with something pointy to see if I’m still alive & knittin’! Row 119. Got my lifelines run & a little hook at the ready for those heart-stopping near-disasters (still h.-stopping even with a net).

26. Angela says:

I just saw Snapes on a Plane. I’m going to pretend that you posted that just to make me smile, given my love of Alan Rickman!

27. Laurie says:

First I was a stitch short. Then there were too many. It was at this point that I put in a lifeline. :-)

3 more rows to finish Clue #2. I only hope to get thru 3 & 4 over the long “break” before #5.

A girl can dream.

28. Laughingrat says:

What a charming gentleman. No wonder he’s an EX-husband.

That reminds me of a line from a movie my roommate watched a few weeks ago, I think it was called “Lianna.” A woman is married to a smug git who likes putting her down; at one point she says, “Just because you’re better at arguing doesn’t mean you’re right.” Ha! The hidden flaw in many chronic arguers’ plan.

Anyway, sorry about your stole. I’m still further back than you and haven’t ripped (yet). So hey, there you go. I’m just super slow.

Actually Friday night I managed to re-knit the row below where I was actually at and had to tink back–but it was only one row. Whew. So, yeah. I only knit it once a week or so; the chart arrangement requires me to have some kind of flat table where the paperwork won’t be disturbed, and that’s hard to find in this house. I wind up skipping out to a local tea shop where the light is decent (the staff know me and will turn up the light over my table without my even asking! so nice!) and the tea is good and the tables are the right size and height. It’s a good thing.

What a long comment!

29. Norma says:

That photo! Great gams, lady!

30. Tanya says:

This is me throwing you a lifeline. Insert one pronto.