Weekend, July 7, 2007

It’s 07-07-07 and I’m feeling LUCKY!

top (@50 rows) size 3.25mm needles
bottom (@60 rows): size 3.5mm

Well, I guess when I wrote the other day that 3’s a Charm on 3rd Rock it meant I’d be starting Mystery Stole #3 three TIMES!

Indeed, I took a good look at my second start and thought it was too dense. Then I read “A Question of Definition” and it pushed me over the edge! My stole gauge was too tight. But.

HEY! There’s no expiration date on knitting, dear little slow-bees.

And now that I’ve gone up a needle size (to 3.5mm) you can see LACE!

There’s Air in There. You can see how it’s opened up in the mesh areas and the pretty little bit of light peaking through the St st areas.

Even though black lace is a B to shoot, let me tell you there’s eyelets and yarn-overs, and K2TOG’s all playing nice and liquid like a merino waterfall when I draped it over my arm.

And that’s what’s exciting — we get to wear this! I have needed a stole for a long time — my first attempt was a few years ago now and it’s been many a summer night when I longed for something to throw over my shoulders and wrap me right. THANK YOU, Melanie!

The other excitement, the longer lasting thrill, for me is that I think now I *get it*. The Lace Thing. I was knitting a row and just sailing along — not struggling with the needle size or fiddling with the yarn because it was either too stuck to the needle or slipping all over the place.

Thing is, I would’ve started over 300 times to Get It.

But it’s 07-07-07 and I feel lucky. Gotta knit now.

12 Responses to “Weekend, July 7, 2007”

1. Melanie says:

Congratulations on “getting it!” Of course you’ve just fallen down the rabbit hole with lace. Bwah ha ha! Enjoy!

2. Michelle says:

Beautiful!
    I think I’m going to need to use your Slow-Bee button – I just finished Chart A last night, and am now up to a rip-snortin’ Row 56. Woot!

3. Jess says:

Into the vortex! Lace knitting is my current rave/fave. 6,700 some-odd doing MS3… Is there a knitter *not* signed up?

4. Vicki says:

I am so happy for you! When you get the lace thing, the joy that comes with knitting and wearing it is wonderful. Now you will have fun knitting it. Enjoy every stitch!

5. Pam says:

Congratulations on finding your lace groove! It’s going to be beautiful!

6. Ina says:

Thanks for the great Slow Bees button – love the not-on-target motif! I haven’t started yet, much less re-started.

Yours looks beauteous!

7. Marg says:

It’s lookin’ great, Bonne Marie! I’m using 4 mm with Jaeger — cream-coloured — and lovin’ it. By the way, you gotta know I blame you for getting me into MS3!!

8. Angie says:

You inspired me to join MS3 at the very last moment. I could use a black wrap and have never used beads, so as soon as my yarn, beads and hook arrive, I’m on the MS3 bus!

9. Wanda says:

Ha, from one slow bee to another, take your time and enjoy it. Also know lifelines are your friend.

Lookin’ good, keep up the fab work. I can only imagine what this newfound understanding of lace will inspire in the ChicKnits pattern world….

11. Romi says:

Heee. You got sucked in too? :g:

12. catherine says:

When I saw you were using malabrigo lace, I HAD to get some too! Love the way yours is turning out… I started my stole with some cobweb weight and it was too lacey for me… I’ll start out with the 3.5mm’s for this next attempt
    thanks ;)