Monday, June 16, 2007

Monday Morning Mirth

This is one of my most favorite things about the place I went this weekend. If you can name the location of this sign and explain what it means (in the comments below) you might win a prize!

(Random drawing on Friday to determine winner in case of duplicate answers…)

44 Responses to “Monday, June 16, 2007”

Well that’s odd isn’t it. I’m guessing NYC, not sure what the box is, but +2 points to your driver’s license?

2. Michele says:

You are in NYC at one of the Broadway intersections and you are not supposed to block the “box” where the streets intersect (sometimes gidded off) in an effort to stave off the dreaded gridlock. If you are a bad person and commit this heinous act, you will be fined and get 2 ‘bad person” points on your driver’s license. How’s that?

Michele

3. Rita says:

I’m going to say you’re in NYC and the sign probably means you aren’t supposed to block the intersection and I’d guess the intersection must have the lines painted to show the box on the road.

4. Michele says:

Easy peasy – it’s NYC, and I’ll go a step further and guess that’s it was taken in Soho (maybe Broadway and Prince). Don’t block the box means don’t stop your d*mn car in the middle of the intersection – it could cause gridlock. You’ll get 2 points on your license, baybee, if you do block the box!!! If there’s traffic ahead of you, wait at the light until you can advance all the way through the intersection. From Michele B.

5. beverly says:

NYC, on some Broadway corner. Don’t block the box means don’t cause a traffic jam in the intersection, or you’ll get a fine and points on your license. I heart NYC!!

6. Karen says:

First time commenter to your site, but an avid reader. I LOVE your designs!!

I had to laugh when I saw your picture. I have the same pic from my trip to New York City! I was told “the box” is the intersection, and if you’re found to be blocking the intersection, you will be fined and have 2 points docked off your license.

My response? Why can’t they have that in every city?!

7. Amber says:

I think it’s NYC. Don’t block the box means that you shouldn’t enter the intersection (in your car) unless you have room on the otherside to clear the crosswalk – that way when the light turns, the other cars in the lanes perpendicular will be able to go, thus preventing gridlock. And if you do block the box, you’ll be fined *and* they will add two points to your record, possibly causing your insurance rates to go up.

We have similar signs in DC. We also have signs reading “No Red Light Running!” and out in the suburbs I once saw a sign that said “Red means STOP in [...]” (some local jusidiction).

8. Jocelyn says:

It is NYC. It means that you shouldn’t drive your car through the intersection unless you can get all the way through the intersection before the light turns red. A lot of times, cars get stuck in the intersection because there are too many cars ahead of them. When the light changes to green in the other direction, the cars can’t go if your car is “in the box.” A fine + 2 points should be a big incentive to make sure you can get all the way through!

9. Glenna says:

I don’t know where it is but I do know that we have the same thing in Toronto! At busy intersections downtown the centre ‘box’ of the intersection is cross-hatched, and if a car is still inside that hatched box when their light turns red, then they are blocking oncoming traffic and open for fines. ;)

10. Karen B. says:

You went to New York City! I’m green with jealousy :o)

Hope your trip was a success.

11. meg says:

I hope it was reasonably cool there . . I can hardly wait to read about your adventures! That was a really good book, too. Fascinating :)

12. it’s new york.
    it’s an effort to keep the intersections clear–to allow traffic to move.
    you get fined plus points taken off your liscence if you are spotted (cameras??) blocking intersections between lights…
    right???

13. Kathleen Rogers says:

Lucky you–New York City.

Hope you didn’t indulge in any box blocking. Stash stuffing is okay, box blocking not okay. :)

Don’t proceed into intersection without seeing your way clear to the other side–they draw lines to create the box. Fine is self-explanatory and points is what they add to your driving record–accumulate too many and your insurance goes up, I believe, or otherwise be punished as an unsafe driver and all around poor citizen.

Look forward always to your Monday morning laughs.

Kathleen

14. Janine says:

It’s NYC, right? And the blocking the box means getting stuck in the middle of the intersection when the light changes and impeding the flow of traffic and gets you a ticket and points on your liscense. I wish they’d do that here, the driver’s are crazy here.

15. Janine says:

16. Frarochvia says:

New York City! Don’t maneuver yourself so that you’re stuck in the intersection when the light changes, or you’ll be docked points on your license and have to pay a fine. *warm fuzzies*

17. Collette says:

Oh, lucky dog. NYC. Don’t block the box means keep your dumb ass (and your dumb ass car) out of the intersection and thus blocking traffic from the other way. The points are added onto your driver’s license and if you get too many, it’s class time for you. Too many more? Bye-bye license!

18. Ann says:

I think that’s NY… we have the “don’t block the box” signs in DC too, but they don’t have points mentioned on them. (meaning – don’t cross an interesection unless you can make it all the way across!)

fun travels!

19. Lorette says:

I also think “your” sign is from NYC, though we have a similar law in Seattle. It means, as others have said, to keep your car out of the intersection when the light changes. Here they are deadly serious about it. Get stuck in the intersection, you will get fined.

20. elise says:

That’s New York, one of the intersections on Broadway in Manhattan. And block the box means that when the light changes red you shouldn’t be in the way of oncoming car, ie in the box where 2 streets intersect. When people block the box around here they make it hard to cars to go and pedestrians to cross. So don’t do it!

21. Ada says:

I LOVE New York City! I was in New Jersey the day the “do not park in the intersection during red lights” campaign began and heard all about it in the news! I thought it was wonderful and amazing (and it would never fly) at the same time. Glad to hear it’s stuck. I think more major cities should have this system, and what better incentive for drivers to adhere than two demerit points?!

22. Regina says:

Clearly, this is NYC and the sign means ” Do not obstruct the intersection – ever !” or you will get 2 points plus a monetary fine.

23. Diane says:

This is the lovely borough of Manhattan in New York City. The ordinance actually states: “No operator shall enter an intersection and its crosswalks unless there is sufficient unobstructed
    space beyond the intersection and its crosswalks in the lane in which he/she is traveling to
    accommodate the vehicle, notwithstanding any traffic control signal indication to proceed.”

Therefore the box is the center of the intersection, and there are stripes painted to denote the actual box area. If cited by a traffic enforcement office, in addition to a fine (I believe it is $45 dollars) violator will receive a citation for a

24. Judith in NYC says:

When we first moved to NYC my son and I would giggle over these signs. We also thought the “No Standing” ones were funny.

25. Michelle says:

Block the Box….a.k.a gridlock. Keep the intersections free and clear on red. The place: the one and only BROADWAY~NYC!

26. Sil says:

If this was one of your favorite things about NYC you’re not hanging around with the right crowd :) little lady.

27. Debbie says:

You are on Broadway in NYC and the sign is telling you not to block the intersection when the light is red. I hope you are having fun! I move to the mid-west a year ago & miss my visits to NYC.

28. Angela says:

I totally wish that we had “don’t block the box” signs here. You are in NYC where you get points on your license for getting stuck in an intersection and blocking the flow of traffic. Hope you’re having a great time.

29. Romi says:

You are on Broadway in NYC. The sign is telling you not to get caught stopped still in the middle of the intersection (box) when the light changes to red, which could cause gridlock. If you do and you gt caught doing it, you pay a fine and 2 points are added to your license. Ouch!

30. Ponytail says:

OK, dumb question coming up – don’t they have this rule all over ? In the UK, it comes under the ‘box junction’ rule, and we don’t have signs, as the criss-cross yellow signs on the road tells you it’s a box junction. Do you not have this box/intersection rule all over America ?
    Am studying for the theory part of my driving test at the moment, so am REALLY interested in this !

WOW! You guys are incredible! Although I think this law exists everywhere, not everyone calls it the “Box”.

The blocking of said is possibly my current #1 Pet Peeve with Chicago — the law is not enforced AT ALL and the gridlock is exponential to the time of day. Since much of my day is spent driving, it brings my life to a standstill over and over. I relieve the stress by mentally ticketing the other drivers, ahem, in a NY state of mind…

32. liz says:

It’s one of those gridlock things so you don’t try to squeak through the light and end up getting stuck in the intersection.

I get the fine but man, two points on your license is mean. They mean business up there.

33. Lee Ann says:

I SO wish we had signs like that in Montr

34. Sonya says:

New York City. Don’t honk your horn either bub. Slap a fine on you if ya do.

35. Mildred says:

Its New York City, Downtown in the Wall Street area, Broad Street. Don’t block the box is a grid at the intersection and if you get caught there when the light changes and cause the flow of traffic to worsen, you will get fined plus receive two points on your record.

36. Cheryl says:

Broadway in NYC (or DC, Tampa,Atlanta,LA,SanFran, etc… Sign: Light is green, you are turning left – DO NOT go forward and wait for traffic to clear to turn. Wait behind the pedestrian walkway until traffic clears and then go like a bat outta hell for fear the light will change and you will be stuck blocking traffic that just gets their own green light! Horrible points are added to your driving record to cause you pain later on down a different road. Odd that you bring this up. Here in Minnesota it was a big deal in our driving manual – you are SOPPOSED to go forth and WAIT till you have a clear to turn and if it never clears, you wait till opposing traffic (and yourself) gets a red light and then politely go before oncoming traffic does. It’s just a given here that who in their right mind would sit back with a green light when there’s a chance you could go? You go forward as far as possible and when able, continue on, that way the guy behind you (waiting also) can get his butt out of the way. You will be honked at and maybe pushed into the intersection if you don’t. I was firmly informed while taking my driver’s test eons ago that waiting back was illegal and I best get into the intersection – true! This is one of our traffic laws I had to encourage my kids to do. They thought they had to wait like I guess that sign says. Not here and I like it that way! No wasted time and no road rage on left turns!

37. Kelley says:

I’m guessing somewhere on the west side of Manhattan. The 2 points on your license is for the chauffeurs whose employers can pay ungodly amounts of fines. If the drivers tro to creep through the intersection, they will be fined. And yes, the box is usually marked on the street!

38. Maureen says:

Yes, you are in NYC, at the intersection of Broadway and …(I’m going to guess the iconic 42nd Street, Times Square). Don’t block the box means don’t pull into the intersection unless you are going to be able to clear the intersection before the light changes. This applies to those going straight ahead, not just those making left turns. Blocking the intersection (box) causes “gridlock”. The box is often marked with an X painted from corner to corner through the intersection. 2 points on the license is a penalty that translates into higher insurance premiums and can eventually result in the loss of one’s driver’s license.

I so wish that we had this in Chicago. Traffic northbound on Michigan Avenue at Chicago Avenue are always blocking the box.

39. sahara says:

Happy birthday Bonne! As I’m a native NY’er, it means, ignore it and don’t get caught!

40. deb says:

You are at Broad & Wall. More than likely by the Stock Exchange

41. deb says:

Oh yeah, I forgot. Don’t block the box means don’t get caught in the intersection when the light turns red.

42. Michele says:

It’s so the opposite in Chicago, isn’t it? Yesterday a crazy woman screamed at me for *not* pulling into the intersection while waiting to make a left turn against oncoming traffic.

I put it in park and let her stew for a minute.

43. Melinda says:

I wish DC enforced this rule. They have similar signs at intersections but they are ignored by both the drivers and the “enforcers”. So to answer your question, the box is the center of the intersection that becomes blocked when people enter it while the light is green and then block traffic when the light turns red. I’m guessing your in NYC at Broadway and … um… not sure where.

Melinda