Tuesday, June 5, 2007

cece_8008.jpg

– high as a kite –

That would be me, still in orbit from a very exciting weekend.

Because of the impossible, improbable, nature of my life, making decisions might be a fast and furious affair.

That’s how I found myself in Colombus, Ohio on Saturday.

Even though it took me from 6pm to 2am (Thunder Storms! Tornado! Wind!) to fly the regular one-hour AmEagle flight, even though I was dead-as-a-doornail (we won’t even talk about jet-lag hair), even though it was hot, humid and rainy, nothing was going to keep me from the Grand Spectacle.

That would be: THE TNNA NeedleArts Market Show for Fall.

I decided I must attend this event at the very last of last minutes.

And Attend I Did! For one day only…

Starting from the line into the Hall, where I met and gushed over Janet Szabo, it was one high point after another the entire day. The Kelly Sisters from Arcadia gave me some really great moves (thanks!) to use on the hugest of floor plans; it was an amazing pace to attempt.

I sampled as much as I could — like a progressive dinner of the fiberous sort, I ventured from vendor to vendor filling my plate — meeting along the way many other diners: from Shannon Oakey from KnitGrrl fame; Ivete Tecedor from Chiagu; Stephanie Japel, who had a very luscious, beautiful booth; to Veronik Avery, the charming and incredible Creative Director of JCA.

Alchemy Yarns housed for the show the talented Lauren Lax and Cathy A — who I was so happy to finally meet in person!

Every once in awhile I had to go pull the plug and reboot the senses. It was saturation overload! Imagine seeing touching taking many new yarns styles companies into one’s jet-lagged brain in such rapid succession that even coffee would not work any magic. But a nice crisp cold bottle of water and a sit-down with Sean from Boston would — a soda from Annie Modesitt, yes!

I have to say it was a genuine pleasure to chat with Nicky Epstein, who is so gorgeous and talented, she should be doing more Television for Us, the Knitting Nation (hint hint). Seeing the new and established glitterati and goodies all in one place was almost too much for me to bear. As I made my way around the entirely too huge hall, I would glimpse someone or something out of the corner of my eye and go, “No, can’t be. IS!”

THIS, coupled with every type of yarn and fiber device one could imagine became a cacaphony of the sort that leaving would only enhance because now I can shout if from the rooftops little-by-little for weeks and weeks.

And yes, I did get a little knitting done…

18 Responses to “Tuesday, June 5, 2007”

1. Dana says:

what a cool, spur-of-the-moment trip! it sounds like a great experience.

2. Susan P says:

Lucky you! I used to attend this show with my mother who had a needlework shop during her later years. She had a very small shop in downtown Indianapolis, the Crafty Lady.There was no room for yarn, but she stocked cross stitch, embroidery, and needlepoint supplies and kits. Whenever she couldn’t find me,I was next door salivating over the knitting booths.

Those were good days. It is nice to know that what my mom taught me continues to enrich my life today aven though she is no longer with me.

Blessings!

3. Deirdre says:

Oh, how very exciting – sometimes spur of the moment decisions are the ones that pay off the most!

4. Teresa says:

Sounds like your quick-trip to the Buckeye State was awesome!

Thanks for sharing and letting us in on what must be the ultimate knitterly gathering!

sounds wonderful!

You are so blessed! I am dying to go to ANY type of fiber fest.

7. Wanda says:

That’s awesome that you got to go. Sounds like fun all around.

8. Karen B. says:

Outstanding! Even suffering through the puddle-jumper of commuter airlines didn’t dampen what must have been a fantastic experience. Oh what fun to be in one’s element!

9. Lauren says:

Cathi and I were so thrilled to meet you! We both remember your blog as being the first one we each read. I’m glad you braved the airport to come. I am thinking of the best yarn for Ariann, which I am definitely going to make.

10. sean says:

it was so nice sitting and recovering from the visual assault on the senses. But is there a better way to be assaulted. I’m so glad you recognized me. Can’t wait to see your future posts!

11. meg says:

What a dream! Vicariously thrilled over here. Good for you, you’re the jet-set knit designer!

Oh, it sounds like so much fun! I know what you mean about the sensory overload though. I always feel that way after Stitches West.

13. sabrina says:

Oh I would have killed to go to TNNA, too fun! http://www.a-friend-to-knit-with.blogspot.com went too and I am so jealous. BTW what is that lovely item you are knitting at the top of the post?

That was a great post! :)

The green lace you see is the lower body portion of my current obsession: yet another CeCe. It is made using ggh Bali, a cotton microfiber.

15. lisa says:

Oh, the joys of going to an event such as this and touching all those fibers. I always say this is my drug fix! The Ce-Ce is looking great too. Tempting me even more to start a green one. BTW, are those addi turbo needles? Been tempted to try those but not sure about the clicking of the metal. Always been a bamboo girl, but the speed thing is tapping on my mind.

16. Marlena says:

Your account of the trip is wonderful! It reminds me of the book seller conventions I used to go to. My back breaking with books, my eyes darting for authors. At least fiber is lighter!

17. Matt says:

It was great seeing you, Bonne Marie. Granny glasses or no, I’m glad they work. I’d have hated to miss you. You’ve really GOT to come to Lansing sometime soon. You won’t believe the store, and it was just so good to see you.

18. This is a true story.

I was in the Tahki/Stacy Charles booth buying the Teva Durham line for fall. Stacy says to Teva, “This is Kathy Kelly from Arcadia Knitting in Chicago. Remember this is one of the stores I said your line really belongs in.”

Teva replies, “Chicago, really? Bonne Marie Burns of Chicknits is from Chicago. Do you know her? Her designs are great.”

Then we talk you up alot to Stacy. Stacy is a man by the way. I spelt your name and Stacy wrote it down.

Kathy Kelly