Wednesday, May 22, 2007

self-portrait Wednesday

You are What You Eat Knit…

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! The Birds. The Flowers. The Sun.

I’ve been rousting around the house, searching out and making mounds of objects feeling the need to cast-off all extra baggage and start anew. Recycle. Donate. Bin.

Off the main bedroom is a huge walk-in closet.

I am NOT the type of person who should be given the keys to that particular kingdom.

There’s stuff in there.

There’s stuff in there I haven’t seen for seven years, not since the days I moved in in 2000, celebrating the beginning of a new millenium wishing for a new leaf and praying for a chance to abandon my hoarding ways. I must admit that nearly all of the things in the closet have been used and served me well; the fact remains they have mostly outlived their usefullness in my life. Some however, have never, cough, reached their potential.

Consider the hand-knit piece above.

It is a sweater back from so long ago that I don’t even know where the pattern could be found (hint: Rowan something or other to be sure). It is Intarsia. It is cotton. I plead temporary insanity.

Looking closer, I see why I might’ve been attracted to this devil-child. It has interesting alternating Stockinette / Reverse Stockinette blocks.

It has Pansies.

I think they’re Pansies.

And who wouldn’t love a Chartruese Daisy?

Certainly not me — hee — it appears that that could’ve been the Theme of this Poem in Stitches and, you know, I’ve recited that one all my life, to anyone who would listen. Lean. Green. Knitting Machine.

So, in the spirit of leaness, I invite you to a challenge: name the pattern and book this sweater is made from. TOO HARD Dudes! Instead — leave a suggested use for this block in the comments. What would YOU do with this intarsia *masterpiece*?

WIN 5 balls of Zitron POLO (a wonderful blend of 60% Cotton and 40% Microfiber) in a beautiful Cerise color and a pattern for a ChicKami shell!

Winner to be announced Monday, May 28, 2007! (Random number generator used to draw winner.)

75 Responses to “Wednesday, May 22, 2007”

1. Melanie says:

I vote for pillow for a wicker chair. You could do it with 6 x 6 blocks. You could even add a little batting and machine quilt it to give more strength as a pillow top.

2. Deirdre says:

I can see it as a little blankie for a little person, with a band knit round after ripping out the armhole shapings – what a lot of work you’ve done!

3. Michelle says:

How about if you seam it together at the top, add a strap connecting the sides to one another and turn it into a springtime doggie sweater?! Perhaps add a little finishing ribbing or ruffle at the neckline for the ultimate chic pooch.

4. Helen says:

Toss it. Do not frog it. It’s just not right for sleek, chic Bonnie Marie. Out it goes. Buh-bye, so long, auf wiedersehen, farewell.

-Helen

5. jane says:

Wow. Some things are better left in the closet. I’d give it away and move on to the next project.

6. di says:

like the bolster pillow idea(s). maybe steek and cut … hand towel? trim the top (from the bindoff armholes) and take off the ribbing. pick up all around and turn into a larger afghan or baby blanket…

7. Janey says:

What an amazing opportunity you have in your hot little hands! A chance to recycle and reuse all that great cotton fibre!
    There are 46 “squares” in that one piece – plus the ribbing piece at the bottom and two corner pieces at the top (seed stitch for armpits?).

Your mission – should you decide to accept it – is to de-construct each square from its neighbours. Then, using the extra yarn from the ribbing and the “armpits”, sew two of the squares together on three sides only. And – tada! – you have 23 “mitts” to use as dishcloths or washcloths.

There are 23 patterned squares and 23 plain squares – I’ve just gone back to count them – so each pattern can be backed with a plain piece.
    OR – and Ive had to go back to count them again – using plain squares on both the front and back sides, and patterned squares on both sides of a mitt would mean that you could make dishcloths AND washcloths. Using the patterned kind as one type of cloth and the plain kind as the other.
    (I would need that sort of visual clue to keep me from mixing them up.)
    The two odd squares – one pattern and one plain could be used as a potholder, after sewing them together on all four sides.

Sorry for the length of this. Can you tell I am very earnst about recycling?
    If we get to propose two suggested uses, then a shorter suggestion would have been to send it to me.

Take care,
    Janey

8. Kathryn says:

I like it. It looks like it was a great deal of work. My first thought was baby blanket or afghan/throw. It would look great in a cottage-y kind of room.

9. m says:

I’d take the scissors to it, and use it for the front of a cushion cover. No, on second thoughts, there are too many repeated blocks. Sacrifice it, and cut up as many 3 x 3 blocks to make into the centre piece of a cushion cover. Use a dark colour, like that of the “pansy” for the fabric sewn around the block.
    Alternatively bundle it all up, and donate it to your favourite charity shop, thus giving someone else the problem.

10. Maureen says:

I agree with the suggestion that you make a throw pillow. A great big swooshy pillow. Wouldn’t it be perfect for the north woods of Michigan?
    A seat cushion for a big rocking chair might be another option.

11. Tina says:

It is Chequer Flower by Sasha Kagan. I feel way older than everyone else, because my Rowan collection does go back that far! I get a giggle from those early designs because of their width, especially on this one, because it’s a summer sweater, and a midriff length one as well. I think the design lends itself well to a pillow, or a bag.

12. My first thought on seeing it was: pillow.

Then I thought that if you take off the ribbing and add reverse garter stitch squares to square off the piece, it would make a fantastic summer-outdoor-entertaining towel, for wiping up the condensation from tall glasses of iced tea…

13. Delica says:

Update a pair of old overalls – sew it onto the front jumper part (where the straps connect) – then cut off the legs, and wear with leggings. A straw hat would finish off the entire ensemble! Voila – a hip / urban-country look!!!

14. Kim says:

Pillow, pillow, pillow. Or donate it to the VT square benefit.

15. Jen says:

I say it’s a pillow waiting to happen. I also see it specifically as a roll type pillow.

16. KT says:

Rip out the top three squares, edge it, block it and throw it on a table under a piece of glass. People can admire it and it won’t get dirty. :)

17. Janice says:

How about a coverlet for a Cabbage Patch doll?

18. Teri says:

glue it to some card stock and make a very unique greeting card.

19. Kary says:

Do what my grandma always threatened to do with her unfinished quilting projects. Put it away carefully in a box labeled with the name of someone you are maybe not that fond of. Then, leave instructions in the event of your death, that this (these?) unfinished project(s) should be passed on to the beloved person you were “making it for”. Giggle meanly from the great beyond.

20. kelly says:

Rip it out if you’re not that attached to it. Use the yarn to make a cute toy.

21. Ellen says:

What about a knitting needle or crochet hook cozy? Take out the armholes, so you have a rectangle and make a nice crochet (maybe picot) border. Then line the wrong side with fabric, making slots for needles/hooks and then attach a ribbon or cord so you can roll it up.

22. Terry says:

Have a friend or two over, a couple of martinis and frog! (This makes me think about the hall closet…)

23. Barbara S says:

What a lot of work that was….it’s a shame to rip it out. I agree with the other comments to make a pillow or a bag. However, cotton is so nice and absorbent, you could take off the part above the armholes or “rectangle it up” a little more, cut it in two and make two kitchen/bar/hand towels.
    Or, donate it to a senior citizen center with any remaining yarn and let them figure out what to do with it.

24. Therese says:

Steek it, a square of four blocks each, with a sewing machine. Cut and knit a border around each square. With your Bond knitting machine, knit a big block and attach square as pockets. Hang on the wall. Or, simply use squares as coasters. Have fun!

25. Therese says: