Wednesday, May 16, 2007

pins_7793.jpg

LoMaintenance Girl in a High Maintenance World

Bouncing along Michigan Route 131 in the beautiful Spring sunshine this weekend, the above refrain kept popping into my head. It’s nobody’s song but mine, although I think that maybe an Idol winner or two might do it proud.

Whoosh. Even though I’m going 75mph, the newer, fresher cars are dusting my little Jeep. An Audi TT gets in front of me, top down, guy with perfect windblown hair enjoying the rays. This car, until recently, was my personal paragon of Car-dom. I’ve lost count of how many I’ve *road tested* at the Auto Show(s), hands on the wheel fantisizing this very trip in my own powder-brushed sliver-blue chariot.

Today, I ride a 1992 slightly rusty, white Wrangler. And I’m Happy.

I’m a LoMaintenance Girl in a High Maintenace world.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, doesn’t mean I don’t have Style.

Style has no price tag. Style doesn’t even have a brand.

Style like Charm is something you might be born with but also something you could possibly buy.

Such as it is, a 15 year old car can be quite stylish.

It still gets a look-see (although if I procrastinate much longer it could be for the rust) flirt or two from the other cars; still more thumbs up than middle fingers.

Why abandon a perfectly working solution for something that might be just a change of veneer?

Because it might be more stylish and it works better too.

Take the pins shown above.

I was out lunching with my knitting muse, Edie, and we went in a local flower shop to see what we could see. One must never pass up a stroll through the posies; even if you walk out empty handed, the nose full will delight for a few minutes beyond.

Edie left with some body spray. I left with the box you see above.

They have become my New Favorite Knitting Tool: Corsage Pins.

On the right, you see two other pins — they are a little longer than your average ball-headed pin and were quite nice to work with.

But compare to the Corsage Pins! The box says: “from 1929″ and looks it — and they haven’t changed much since then. Perfectly straight, strong and long(er) with a nicely sized pearly head, they are so easy to use for seaming I am beaming. Much more perfect than clunky, thick T-Pins!

13 Responses to “Wednesday, May 16, 2007”

1. Ada says:

Great tip, Bonne Marie! I guess you could use these for blocking as well, as they are rust-resistent…

2. meg says:

Yes! I like my quilting pins for the same reason. Longer is good (motto from a Very Tall family). Brotherman even made me spindles with longer stems, which are nice for a girl with almost man-sized hands. :o)
    IMHO, though, I rather prefer the humbler version of charm. The expensive can be too haughty, almost mean.

3. Susan P says:

Highway 131? Now I know you were up in my family’s corner of the world! Spill the location. Was I right? Cedar?

BTW, Nicole is coming right along. Almost up to the armhole decreases. Am rendering her in Nashua’s Ecologie cotton in a lovely beige/ivory/tan color that looks like antique or tea dyed loveliness. What a great pattern! Hope it looks as good on me as it does on the needles.

Blessings,
    Susan

4. Angie says:

As one who drives a 1995 Cadillac with 50K miles, paid for is much, much sportier than those little numbers.

Can I use that phrase? I absolutely love it! My husband and I were discussing how many clothes I have, and came to the agreement that I may have quite a few, but it’s because I keep them so very long.

My grandma always said people may have class and money, but just because you have money, doesn’t mean you have class. I think she was a lo maintancee girl in a high maintanance world a long long time ago.

6. Beth S. says:

What a cool box that is! :-) You’re right, sometimes older is better. ;-)

I love reading about common items that someone else uses for something other than it’s intended purpose. (did that come out right?)
    Wonderful ideas there.

BTW, finished my Scoop Du Jour and it looks absolutely smashing on me…if I do say so myself.

9. Carrie says:

Oh, I love my little 92 volvo spy car for the same reason! Great tip about the pins!

10. Carol says:

Very nice! I love the vintage stuff, especially when they are so very useful. We know you’re a classy lady ;)

11. Terry says:

That is what I really admire about you – you see thru all the “fluff” and can see the real good qualities of something (yarn!). In this case – what a fantastic find in an unexpected place!

12. amisha says:

beautiful post on style. you, my friend, have it… the magical and difficult to describe… it’s there in everything you do and in your writing.
    i love the corsage pins too. i’m a sucker for that vintage packaging (and an unexpected stroll through a flower shop), and they look perfect… the right sized tool for the right sized job, as my bookbinding teacher used to say.

*pokes BM in the arm* TAG, taggin’ ya for a meme. You can get details at me ‘ol blog, or completely ignore this post and act like it got lost in your junk mail.