Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Chic Knits Sock Nation Knittin' Citizen

…the Sock Speaks…
Make Mine Yellow

IMG_0631.jpg

Ah – to enjoy a flower in the Spring – I walk to the bus stop these days just drinking it in. The green, the petals, the scent – it is all around us – is this not the most glorious time of the year?

The lilacs promise; the dandelions wave.

Dent de lion?

They indeed are everywhere – and one would be hard-pressed to not call them the most prolific Wildflower of the Plains, non?

They control erosion, re-mineralize the soil and offer food to the animal species. Just like any other W.E.E.D.

Sock says they make a rather nice couch as well…

======================

“What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feral or Floral? the L.A. Times weighs in

BTW: “…If you have been told that even a fragment of a root will regenerate, the good news is: It won’t, says Nesom. “Hit it below the top of the root or the growing point,” he says, “and you’ve got it.”"

9 Responses to “Tuesday, May 8, 2007”

1. Toby Wollin says:

Hooray!! This is when we know Spring has finally arrived. Dandelions. This spring has been the best for this flower in a very long time. They are everywhere, and in Upstate New York, coming out right on the heels of the blooming of the forsythia bushes — we are awash in yellow out here. Fantastic. (oh, yeah..the sock is not bad, either-grin)

2. carrie says:

What with the bees taking a hike, every time I see one on a dandelion, I wish him well and give him a wide berth. I’m not even sure if I’ll cut our dandelions this year =) Why not give in to the force and enjoy the yellow sunshine captured on the ground?

3. Wanda says:

Spring has sprung! Those socks are bright! a nice welcome to spring.

4. Gaile says:

Pretty sock! We’ve had a wet Spring in Vancouver so far, but today the sun is finally warming us up.

5. Helen says:

I have that same sock yarn! I was wondering what it looked like knitted up.

I’m almost done with my Ribby Cardi (yeah I know, I’m way behind the times on this one), but wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed knitting it!

6. Carol says:

I love this time of year too! You live in a great town though, with socks blooming all over the place and all…;)

7. Sonya says:

I think dandelion greens are pretty tasty. That is the sock of spring if ever I saw – but did I write that already?

8. amisha says:

as spring is coming up there we are careening headlong into summer… i am re-enjoying those spring breezes through this photo :) i love dandelions and many other little flowering ‘weeds’… all in the eye of the beholder i think!

9. Michelle Dakuras says:

Eating dandelion greens 2-3x weekly increases your life longevity – so they say. I have seen some awfully old artifacts of said consumers. To make it go down better, be liberal with the olive oil and fresh lemon. Dandelions = Fountain of Youth!! Now if they could just make you look younger along with aging you past your prime.