Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Nicole_7486_446772.jpg

…made with Elann Peruvian Highland Silk yarn…

click HERE for more pattern info…

SKILL LEVEL: Advanced Beginner

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS:
32.25 (34, 36.5, 38, 40, 42) "

YARDAGE (DK Weight Yarn) :

Felted Tweed
Pure Wool DK
Scottish Tweed DK
Silk Wool DK
Soft Lux

Shelridge Farms: Soft Touch DK

Even though I rarely exhibit a perspicacious nature, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that most of us don’t like to knit sleeves.

There.

I’ve said it. Put it out there for the whole world to see.

Of the last four garments I’ve finished, only one had ‘em.

I love wearing them but the last few months just ended up knit sleeveless.

Enter Nicole –

I started wearing TeeShirts under my tank tops after I saw Madame Fluffa holding forth in France and never looked back. The shirt extends the season – a little light cami underneath can privatize the areas modest folk might want to lightly cover.

The design sprung from the purchase of a blouse. From July 9, 2006:

nicole_060619_070424_w.jpg

While the new Mrs. Urban (OH, how I love that last name) is off somewhere honeymooning (and apparently beforehand, moonlighting), I’ve been working away on the Nicole camisole.

I use the term *camisole* lightly – this is probably going to be worn more as a vest over another sheer shirt – or any variety of other shirts. I also plan on wearing it solo – so I’ve made its lacey-ness more suggestive than revealing.

I love the way this is turning out – it is not a Victorian romp – more like a modern feminine stroll that might work for the night out or for the street. Which is exactly how I have been directing my wardrobe – I want it to have a dual nature – depending on what you pair it with, it can go day to night quite easily. Which is what a Working Girl without a battalion of stylists needs – wearable, usable, knitted clothes.

But if I could, I would certianly want to have Ms. Kidman’s wardrobe – almost everytime I see her, she’s wearing something I would absolutely love to have.

The first Nicole I knit (the creme coloured one) is made using a yarn from Sirdar called “Breeze”. It is a cotton-microfiber blend. I would characterize it as the little cousin to yarns like Rowan’s “All Seasons Cotton” (Aran) or ggh “Bali” (Worsted), both in different weights but similar fiber content and twist. They make a nice, lighter weight fabric than 100% cotton, but IMHO, give a finish that is more casual than a beautful mercerized 100% cotton, like Elann “Sonata”. The James Brett “Kool Kotton” is also a nice blend. But of course, there is always the perennial favorite: “Calmer”.

I am always ready to take up the needle and swatch – the ball bands on yarns never fully explore the range of gauges that might work on a yarn – you never really know until you knit and measure. I’m eyeing several “suspects” I will add to the list as knitting unfolds…

Please email me info*chicknits*com with any suggestions for favorite DK weight yarns you love. I am especially in thrall to this gauge right now – it allows a really versatile range of texture and drape not possible with larger yarns…

22 Responses to “Tuesday, April 24, 2007”

1. AnnDS says:

Dear Bonne Marie,

LOVE it! I have been jonesin’ for a U-neck sweater for the longest time, but have been too chicken/lazy/busy to design my own. This will get me going!!

2. Marlena says:

I remember that blouse photo! Nicole is going to be perfect for summer, I will likely layer mine with a tank. Of course, summer also means another ChicKami!

3. Karen says:

It’s beautiful in the navy colorway!

Gorgeous! I think I’m going to swatch up some hempathy to see if that works for Nicole.

5. Karen B. says:

I just had to comment – even before I made my cuppa joe: that’s just beautiful! Color, sheen, buttons, execution. Everything.

Wear it in good health!

Thank you very much!

I think the Hempathy would work and look gorgeous with this design – I’ll add it to the list. Thanks :)

7. Jeri Ann says:

I am just finishing Arianne and Nicole looks to be next on my list! I did not see any sizes listed. Could your post those when you have a moment? Thanks for the great patterns…Just Beautiful!

8. Sonya says:

Ooooh, Hempathy. I have some of that! Love the Nicole! And those other ladies in the WIP sidebar? Can’t wait to make their acquaintance. I will patiently wait.

All the pattern info/stats are on the main catalog page here:

*** for some reason, this is not showing up properly on some browsers this morning – some info is missing ***

will be fixed by PM hours 04/24/07

[The size range is from 34 – 42″.]

10. karen w says:

Perspicacious. Great word!
    Nicole is gorgeous! In both of her colors!! Gotta start workin’ out the arms to go sans sleeves. LOL. DK yarn rocks!

11. meg says:

I’ve been thinking I might try the new KnitPick’s CotLin on the lovely Nicole. .
    This design would look great on Mrs. Urban! She should take knitting lessons from you (she could bring hubby with) ;o)

I had to buy this one right away! I have a cotton I am swatching for it. I love this pattern. I can’t wait to see what it looks like w/ out a cami underneath. It’s very hard for us busty ladies to find a sexy summer tank that hides bra straps. I think we may have a winner!

13. Wanda says:

OMG, that’s just perfect Bonne Marie! I saw the cream colored version but the Navy sets it off so perfectly to me. This is great, b/c I like the suggestion of lacyness, but not showing off all the goods. As well as being able to wear this as a tank in the summer and a vest in the winter. Very versatile!

14. Melanie says:

Love the navy! I have Debbie Biss Cotton Cashmere ready to cast on!

15. Liz from Chicago says:

Great design, I just have a couple of questions, what does the back look like and can this design be lengthen a little bit?

You are a great designer

Liz

Thanks so much!

The Back is a higher scoop (by about 4″) and is patterned the same way as the lower body (no cabling but a seed stitch rib).

You can lengthen the Body easily by adding rows before the shaping begins on the lower part.

17. Sandra says:

Very beautiful and tempting to make!

I am between sizes, would you suggest going down or up? How much ease does the cream colored one have on the model? (This is probably how I’d wear it with a shirt underneath). It looks like the buttons end and the waist shaping occurs slightly above the model’s natural waistline, is that the suggested fitting?

Thanks for all your attractive and knittable designs!

For sizing – I would pick a like-garment from my closet and make the size closest to it.

The waistline on the Nicole design should hit at the natural waistline – it does look a little high on the model – she is Very Tall and the skirt is low-cut. :)

19. meg says:

this is beautiful. definitely going on my list of to do’s. i think it’s going to actually move up to the top of the list. i love it and must make it part of my wardrobe, immediately.

20. caro says: