Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Chic Knits Sock Nation Knittin' Citizen

…the Sock Speaks…
Your Tax Dollars at Work

IMG_0599.jpg

No my pretties, those dollars are not knitting Sock2 – but they are paying for all those flowers. This, a day after Tax Day, startled yet amused me.

As far as the eye can see, in Plymouth Ct. Park, next to the Federal Bldg. in downtown Chi, sit hundreds of flats of pansies, in shades of purple and solid gold. They await their new homes in the giant planters that live in the park.

IMG_0602.jpg

Such old-fashioned favorites – the multi-colored varieties with a face – these were all different tones of purple.

“The first hybrids with dark central blotches (as opposed to just lines) appeared in 1814, and by 1835 there were 400 named varieties on the market-’beautiful, flat, symmetrical, velvet-like flowers, more than two inches in diameter, magnificently and variously coloured.’ These are the words of Charles Darwin, who took a keen interest in the cross-fertilization of plants. He was working on his theory of natural selection at the time, and conducting his own experiments with pansies and other flowers, keeping detailed records of the various traits that arose through many generations.” …from Burpee

If wishes were horses, I’d like to see the line item budget requisition for these beauties. You just know there is page after page after page of PORK in that budget – why is it thrilling for me to know some measure of sanity interrupted BAU? ;p

Let’s hear it for Pansy Spending and kick that other type to the curb, shall we?

17 Responses to “Wednesday, April 18, 2007”

1. Amber says:

Ha! Reminds me of my college days — right before events that drew lots of parents in (homecoming, parents weekend, etc), the university would cover the campus in yellow and purple pansies (closest to the offical school colors – ‘buff and blue’). The sad thing was that parents weekend usually fell in November. So everything was beautiful while parents were around, and by Monday when they left, all the flowers were dead from the frost.

So be glad your pansies are being planted in the spring!

2. liz says:

Interesting. Here in Texas, pansies are winter plants. I just dug all mine up from last fall to plant caladiums for the summer!

Pansies are early Spring planters here – right about now you see the Forsythia bloom (time to prune the roses) – and we start trying to act like we are having warmer weather.

The high today is going to be about 43 degrees :)

My Rule of Thumb: gardening does not get to be a dependable distraction here until after Mother’s Day…

4. Karen B. says:

I second your “not before Mother’s day” rule of thumb, having been bitten one year by a particularly ruinous unseasonable snow event. Thus died my best garden ever.

5. Kit says:

I like this sort of tax-dollar spending. Much better than million-dollar toilet seats.

6. ~S says:

Like Liz we plant our Pansies in September and they bloom through most of winter. Makes the winter season tolerable. Pansies are cool loving plants and die when temps stay above 85-90 on a continuous basis. That said I have had a few make it through summer, but they were hidden under some roses and daylilies. By the end of May they are pretty much done. That said my favs are the Majestics in purple and orange followed by the Antiques.

7. Darci says:

In CA over here…I will be heading out to the nursery for some filler plants/flowers as the bulbs start to fade out. We had a cold snap and I lost my tulips…very frustrating. Am overhaul of the backyard is in the works for early summer.

8. Angie says:

Check this out, is this a Ribbi spotting at the STR sock camp? (scroll Down on Nathania)http://www.knitanon.com/blog/

9. Wannietta says:

I love pansies!! And they might be Icicle Pansies – uber-hearty and frost resistant.

10. Susan P says:

My Grandmother raised beautiful pansies in her garden. She called them “Heart’s Ease” Anyone else ever heard of this terminology? You gotta love something that looks so frail and delicate yet can withstand the final blasts of winter that so often interrupt our midwestern spring!

So pretty, I like that kind of spending.

12. Beth S. says:

Amazing how those beds of pansies resemble your sock. The band of bright yellow, the band of checkery dark-and-white… that’s a great shot.

13. meg says:

Yay for pansies! I like that a lot better than what MI gov’t proposed — buying an ipod for every schoolkid. Talk about *pork*! That had better not pass, especially with all the tax increases they’re contemplating.

14. Sonya says:

My breath is taken away by the sock and how perfect it looks against the drifts of flowers. Pansy perfect!

15. carrie says:

Great sock! I love the pansies, and yes, I bet they cost a coupla bucks. I’m knitting CeCe and enjoying her immensely!

16. Carol says:

A MEN! What a pic your socks with all the flowers! Ape-ril showers ~snort~ If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?

17. Marcia Dawson says:

I thought I was the only one who thought it was weird to spend tax money on acres of annuals. Those things are really expensive, at least $15 for one little tray. WHY is my money spent on THAT? (Well, good to know someone else thinks of this. Maybe I’m not as weird as I thought I was.) Can we start a nation-wide campaign to stop wasting money? Or to force politicians to start flowers from seed?