Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Everybody has a five/10/100 year plan, right? Smoothly sailing down life’s highway, we see the signposts of human achievment: the births, the graduations, the degrees, that JOB, the wedding(s), the mortgage, the bills, the sickness, the what?

So what happens when Life hits a PotHole?

In my case, you clean.

Lucky for me, it’s SPRING! And nothing goes better with That than a scrub-brush and vacuum…

My mind has been cloudy lately – lately including right before Christmas to now. I’ve been flattened by a forlorn karmic trifecta of sorts — 25% of the people I work with on my *day job* were laid off, but the work load ramped up like a rocket; my downtstairs neighbor’s baby, who, as an infant, was as quiet a a churchmouse, is now a nighttime *crooner* who sings with loud and howling regularity, off-key and sad, every morning around 3am; and most most dreadful, my dear, dear friend went into the hospital with bone cancer two days before Christmas and has been battling ever since.

Dark was my Winter Season (and broken my heart) but the Light everday is climbing. A new season is upon us and my house is full of rays.

And what did I see? Dust bunnies everywhere! (These, as I explained to an online chum were Nature’s Free Winter Insulation – along with piles of books, skeins, papers, shoes, laundry, boxes, and more…)

Perhaps this pile-up was the order of the day in the lurking grey of Winter, but No More!

Bunnies in the Spring are Chocolate, not dust: Be Gone!

studio_0468.jpg

Not enough the sweeping, but to really change the inner landscape, furniture MUST be moved! I re-arranged the living room/studio & dining areas so they are open and light.

studio_0470.jpg

studio_0471.jpg

all the pretty swatches in a bowl and rack…

studio_0474.jpg

studio_0472.jpg

This is an old display rack I found at a flea market. It probably held small packages like barrettes or bobby pins – I used it for awhile to display postcards. Now, I’ve got some favorite swatches clipped to it to study and peruse…

23 Responses to “Tuesday, April 3, 2007”

1. ivete says:

I’m sorry to hear about all this! I hope things start looking up for you soon!

2. Marg says:

I will say a little prayer for your friend. I know well about Dark Winters.

Meanwhile, couldja send a little sun our way? Here in Southern Alberta we’re digging out from 2 days of snow! Only the skiers are happy…

3. Marg says:

I will say a little prayer for your friend. I know well about Dark Winters.

4. Very inspiring! There seems to be something on the wind, this spring cleaning, which I had heard of but never participated in. Nature’s Free Winter Insulation, huh? Sadly, my utility bills blow that theory out of the water. Not even the wall o’ wool helped.

Healing thoughts to you and your friend.

5. Teresa says:

I hit a major bump with my job the second week of January and moved me into an extended ‘dark night of the soul’…then the bout of pneumonia…I can **so** relate to this post, Bonne Marie.

About the middle of January I adopted the mind-set that I was grateful to just keep putting one foot in front of the other. (Even though some days I got knocked on my butt!) In the end it’s all good – but I have the same sense of needing to clean, clear out and shake up the energy in my environment.

Spring cleaning – physically and psychically.

What indeed. It certainly looks like you’ve done a great job taking things into your own hands. I’m sorry to hear of your friends battle, I wish the best.

7. Leslie says:

Bonne Marie, I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. Things like that make you take a step back and reassess how you’re proceeding down life’s path. The best thing is to be supportive of her, which I know you are. Your house looks marvelous. Nothing like getting rid of those dust bunnies and organizing to clear your mind.

8. Wanda says:

Oh, Bonne Marie, this has been a tough winter for you. I’m so sorry to hear that. I will definitely say a prayer for your friend. {{{{MANY HUGS }}}} to you.

9. Michelle says:

Right before I started coming to KIP I almost went down the deep ravine. All of you helped out so much, you really have no idea! I’ll try to get there this Thurs. and you can talk or just talk about nothing. It’s the company that is so healing. Take care and appreciate all those cycles that happen even when the wheel splashes mud all over you from those damn potholes. You’ll pattern over those dark patterns in your tapestry with the colors of light!

10. Rosemary C says:

My sweet,dear husband has a type of blood cancer which is chronic, but can be managed. He has been doing infusions for the past month and yesterday he was to start chemo. When we saw the doctor she said that he had done so well on the infusions that he didn’t have to do the chemo. We were elated. Now, this is the wild part. When we left the office, out in the foyer were a group of KNITTERS. They were there for their friend who was having chemo for ovarian cancer. They would each take turns going in to be with her. I told them our story and we laughed and cried and shared patterns. Knitting has been my savior during all of this and they were like a major sign to me. I will keep your friend in the light as I knit. Here is a favorite saying from Maya Angelou I keep over my desk: “We spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. It would be wise to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends, and living our lives.”

Rosemary C in San Jose, Ca., where the sun is shining brightly today. Screw the dust bunnies!!!

11. meg says:

I don’t have any 5, 10 or whatever year plans . . . maybe that’s what I need.
    Good for you, cleaning up! I hope it helps. My prayers for your friend & yourself. Bless you.

12. Meghan says:

I absolutely love the Ribby Pulli! I have been looking for the pattern on your website and haven’t found it, is it only available in printed form from a retailer?

13. Carol says:

I went to check on my 5/10/100 year plans and they had my kid’s names all over them! I round up the dust bunnies and let them guard the house. I will keep your friend and you in my very best thoughts and hopes for goodness to come. Someone has to personally experience a miracle once in a while, why not her?

14. Genie says:

I love your creativie space and the knitted swatches. I have been knitting for over 20 years since I was 12. In all that time, I never did much colorwork but I have been taping Kitty Gritty on DIY station here in NY and I finally mastered it. I like your site. It has style!

Genie

15. Fiona says:

Delurking to say that I truly hope that the road ahead is smoother for you. Your room is wonderful, btw! – a beautiful eclectic mix of colours and textures. Wishing your friend well, and you too.

16. Karen B. says:

Hmmm. I like the rule that the only bunnies at Easter should be chocolate ones!

So sorry to hear about your dear friend’s battle as well as struggling to keep up when layoffs hit. Never forget that your Wing Man is with you and yours as they deal with life’s potholes.

17. Delica says:

Bonnie Marie, you share so much about yourself that is good so I know the karmic scale will balance itself again for you. I too clean during the down times (your knitting area is inspiring) – it makes me feel in control for even a little bit of my world, and hey, things get clean too!

18. Sonya says:

Take care, lack of sleep and bad news are never good combinations. You crack me up with the bunnies – insulation, chocolate – funny lady. I have to do some cleaning of the spring variety myself. Inspiring as always Bonne Marie!

19. Paula says:

The dark summer, fall, and winter seasons broke my heart several times, though not my soul.
    The other day I found myself thinking I’ve had sad music in my heart for so long I need to change the tune. So, now rather than hearing “I think I’m going to be sad

20. rachel says:

my dear, you have such a big heart. i’m wishing you and your friend all the best!

My Dear BM, I am hoping that the sunshine creeps into your broken heart and seals it all up with yellowy goodness. I do pray that your friend will win this battle. And I love your bowl and rack combo. I love having my swatches out on display as well. Someday I hope to have enough to put together for a big crazy afghan.
    Sending lots of sun your way dear friend.

22. Amanda says:

Bonne Marie,

My heart goes out to you. I, too, have had those dark moments and am going through one now. It is ever so hard, but Spring is coming and it always helps.

You are so brave to share so much of yourself with us.

I’ll keep you and your friend in my thoughts.

23. Sil says:

Sorry that the sucky things are outweighing the fabulous things, but you’re right,the scale does indeed find its balance and hopefully things will right.

Take care and come to Maryland and we’ll drink wine together!