Wednesday, March 28, 2007

It’s a HOOD!

twst_0451.jpg

The Twist sweater got crowned this weekend whilst watching “the Illusionist”. This movie was so stullifying, that it was easy to pay attention to the stitching – unlike my outing with “The Departed” which was so exciting that the Nicole top suffered a 53 row “hit” and was put back into marination custody for a time out. (Currently, 47 rows to go, again on probation.)

Movies are soo good to knit by that I see that Jennifer/Crafty Lilly has a blog called FiberFlix KAL. Here movies are nominated and one per month is picked for viewing, discussion and knitting. Coming Up in April is “Don Juan DeMarco”, with my favorite Hollywood squeeze, Johnny Depp. I’ve never seen this one! Count me in!

My perfect movie to Knit By: something without subtitles (tried and failed to watch a Bollywood box office breaker with no success), something with lots of music to cue me to upcoming drama (usually this tonal bashing annoys me to no end but in this case it’s essential) and lot’s of action scenes so I can look away and not miss too much exept for some gratuitous pyrotechnics (some of Angelina Jolie’s movies are great for this – the TombRaider series, which I love; Mr. & Mrs. Smith was great – as soon as the sound of breaking glass/explosions is over, eyes up!)

“The Illusionist” has the great Edward Norton and a fellow named Rufus Sewell who I’ve adored since I first saw him as Marco Venier in “Dangerous Beauty”. Both give safe, intense, well-crafted performances which never ignite. The whole story is about the Passion they both feel for Jessica Biel’s character, who is just too contemporary for a period piece like this. Her look, her accent, her lack of range bring the thing to a grinding halt everytime she appears. The sparsity of gimcracks in a movie so focussed on magic is astounding and by the end, when they reveal the illusion behind the Illusion, it is too little, too late. Even “the Ghost Whisperer” teases with more skill than this big budget period farce.

Especially annoying – the entire film is golden and sepia toned with faded blacked out edges to approximate a voyeur effect; just too exhausting to peep for the duration.

Between Acts 3 & 4, I was so lethargic,
I took an Exciting Button Break
while the movie plodded along…

twst_0454.jpg

I’m having a hard time picking between
a faux light tortoise shell and a buff matte disk…

36 Responses to “Wednesday, March 28, 2007”

1. Macoco says:

I really like the faux tortoise shell buttons.

Also – I took my Ribby Cardi out of time out and hope to have it seamed and zippered up by Easter. I love the pattern. :)

2. Iko says:

Thanks for posting a link to FiberFlix! As a movie fanatic, as well as a knitter, I think I will begin participating. Thank you!

Not sure which buttons I would like better. The buff matte buttons would make it more generally wearable (they blend in a bit so it could ‘go with everything’), but the tortoise shell make it a bit more ‘flashy’.

3. Darci says:

I vote for the tortise ones…a bit of color is always nice.

4. lisa says:

Twist with a hood is coming out wonderful. I like buttons that blend into a sweater vs. stand out. Just my opinion – we all have one, don’t we?

The sweater looks wonderful! I can see your dilemma with the buttons. Up close, I really like the bottom one, but from far the tortoise shell work well in my opinion. I’d be stymied. I am stymied, and it isn’t my sweater!

Thank you for mentioning FiberFlix! We do have a good time with the movies.

I agree that the Illusionist was not that exciting. You might like The Prestige better. It’s another movie about magicians, but it stars Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale and is much more interesting. I had to stop knitting at several points.

7. Tamara says:

Ah, Twist, my favorite sweater ever! Now I have to make it with a hood! Will you be providing the hood variation?

I prefer the second buttons, although either is nice.

BTW, when I knit Twist I reverse the cables on one side so they mirror each other. I’m maybe a little OCD. ;-)

8. claudia says:

I like the buff matte because the deep lip of the other button is distracting my eye from the ribbed edging.

Buttons in this color are scarce! I found these at the local Joann’s – maybe I should go for a silver? I’m not feeling the love for either one of these…

I have a big button palace downtown called Tender Buttons on Rush St. – maybe a visit is in order –

10. Michele says:

Of the two, I prefer the buff matte disk. I get all my buttons for my handknits at Tender Buttons in NYC. My handknits deserve the best, and I really appreciate the assistance I get from their staff when I am torn between 2 or 3 button styles.

I wonder if they’re related?

I agree with you Michelle – I’ve brought in most of my sweaters to their store and laid ‘em on a table and before you knew it there were 10 boxes pulled off the walls (is it boxes on the wall in NYC?)

Buttons make or break the sweater –

12. Elizabeth says:

Hmm, I guess of the two I like the tortise, but EVERYBODY seems to have those on their sweater, so I’m stumped. I think that an exploratory trip to TB couldn’t hurt!

I’m ready to post shawl pics, but have been SLAMMED by the upcoming move on Sunday and in denial about the fact that I probably won’t have net access for a week or so after that. (sigh) I miss knitting. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through this site…I imagine I’ll finish socks and vests again someday too…

13. carolyn says:

i like the tortoise…

14. Katinka says:

I had similar feelings about “The Illusionist”…pretty to look at, but not terribly exciting.

My vote goes to the tortoise shell. :)

15. jeanne says:

I’d heard “The Illusionist” was a bore, but I didn’t know my soulmate, sex-on-a-stick Rufus Sewell was in it. Now I’m truly torn – subject myself to a crappy movie just to see Rufus (tell me: does he play the woman’s consolation prize YET AGAIN?!? In what universe is that man second-best?), or rent “Dangerous Beauty” and see him presented as the sex-god he really is?

16. Beth S. says:

Go with the tortoiseshell! Please! It’s perfect!

I always think of Cold Comfort Farm when someone mentions Rufus Sewell. One of my favorite films ever–and also one of the few that really do justice to the book they’re based on.

17. rachel says:

Love the hood. My vote is for the bottom button, but what about a pale turquoise? Have fun @ Tender Buttons. They are such a treat!

18. Judy says:

I loved The Illusionist. I found it very cerebral and calming which is something I enjoy once and a while. How can you not mention Paul Giamatti (sp?), I thought he was very good. I loved the ending.
    As for trying to knit during Casino Royale, well except for the lovey dovey part toward the end I was pretty fixed on the screen, but I may have missed something and will probably watch it again.
    The Twist is wonderful ! The Buff Matte is edgier. That is one of the joys of knitting cardis, picking out buttons you don’t see every day

19. I love the buff matte disk, but not for this sweater. I’d use (don’t laugh) mother of pearl.

20. Helen says:

The tortoiseshell, no question.

21. ~S says:

I vote with you on looking at silver. While I love the buttons in and of themselves the yarn looks to be more on what I call the silver side than the gold side. And these buttons would look better on something with a gold tendancy. At least that is how it looks on my monitor. Love the sweater.

Casino Royale is definitely an easy knit movie and one that I hated in the Bond relm. It totally lacked the fun banter (word play) seen in all the other films.

22. Karen says:

I like the buff matte disk the best too.

23. Karen S says:

I like the matte button as well. And while we’re on the subject of buttons, perhaps you can help me with a little problem I am having. I made a cardigan with Cascade Pastaza. It has a ribbed bands with horizontal, one-inch button holes. I used 1-in. buttons but when I put the sweater on and button it, the buttons pop right out of the holes. I noticed that some of my commercial cardigans have the buttonholes reinforced with machine stitching or serging. I could try this or just use larger buttons…any suggestions?

24. Deirdre says:

I like both of your buttons, but am almost thinking pewter rather than out-and-out silver for this yarn –

sweater is gorgeous!

25. Frarochvia says:

I definitely like that buff matte! Where did you get it?

26. Sonya says:

My vote is for the buff matte disk. I love your movie reivew “grinding to a halt” ouch! And Bonne Dora’s box? So, so great. Marination. Gestation. All improtant things in knitting.

27. Melanie says:

Last year I purchased dusty purple buttons for a baby sweater while in Venice, Italy. In the same way the customer is not allowed to touch produce -I handed the sweater to the gentleman who owned the shop. He peeked into many of the little drawers on the wall behind the counter, until he found them. I paid him “1 & 10 eruo” for the set. They were perfect – Prego!

28. Gina says:

You’re trying to talk yourself into a trip to Tender Buttons, and you are going to get nothing but encouragement from me! The worst case scenario is that you will have spent a little time browing on Rush Street (how bad can that be?) and come away not spending any money, smug in the knowledge that the buttons you already have are the best possible choice. (I like both the matte and the tortoise but the tortoise melds better with that fabulous hoodie.)

Gina

29. Seanna Lea says:

I love the matte buttons, but not for this project. They don’t seem to work with the color and shadows of the hoodie as well as the tortoise.

30. suzanne says:

I see someone else has recommended “The Prestige”. It’s a much better film. Maybe not the best to knit during. Like Christian Bale’s earlier film, Batman Begins (same director- Christopher Nolan) it flashes back and forth between past and present, so you have to pay attention to keep up. But it was well worth it for the “gotcha” at the end.

31. Gina says:

I like the buff matte ones. I like their texture against the texture of the sweater.

32. Wannietta says:

I like the matte disc but I think that the tortoise shell buttons add some character to the sweater.

33. sarah says:

100 percent tortoise, they are instyle now and the other ones look dated

34. Dana Franchi says:

I know what you mean about “The Departed”, I had to watch it twice since I knitted thru it the first time. I spun thru the second so that was better.

Nice hood!

35. amisha says:

it is looking so, so good! i’m rather partial to the matte disk… but they are both lovely.
    and thank you for the movie review! that movie is on the list so good to know what to expect :) i tried to knit a bit during the departed. there was no way… i was on the edge of my seat, clutching e, distressed… (his arm was more comforting than the needles, i was gripping so tightly!)

36. Beth T says:

Be sure to record your reaction to Don Juan DeMarco. It’s the movie where I fell in love with Johnny D – and Marlon Brando – which will make more sense to you once you’ve seen the movie.

My recommendation is to knit something light and lacy while watching, cause it get preeettty steamy.

Enjoy! Beth