Friday March 16, 2007

knit blog

“Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous: the Slammer Years”

That’s a little quote from an associate of mine, made in the lobby of the Fed Court building in Chicago. He was talking about the trial we were there for – one Conrad Moffat Black – the notorious and controversial British Peer of the Realm.

These days, and for many weeks to come, The Esteemed Realm of said Lord consists of a courthouse, and my peers are very concerned the amenities just might not be up to snuff for someone of such lofty prominence. The Cafeteria food! The manky Public Restroom! The Gaunlet!

That’s where I come in – the first and last things Mr. Black sees coming into and out of the DFBldg is multitudes of cameras. Canadians! Brits! Yanks! The interest in this man is at an international high – and the Brit paparazzi especially like to get up close and personal with the lens, leaping and pushing towards the man until he’s the center of the rugby scrum. Close by his side is Mrs. Black, rumoured to wear a 26 carat diamond engagement ring, which, used in a WonderWoman move could just possibly blind and blow up all those buzzing mosquitoes with a little flash feedback.

Frivoulous Sidebar: Fellini, the GrandMaster film director, is the Pappa of the Paparazzi – his character in “La Dolce Vita” – a boy called “Paparazzo” (Mosquito).”

This playoff is going to continue for weeks and weeks this Spring and already, the media players have dug in for the duration. In the roped-off access area is a sea of canvas folding chairs, whose occupants occupy their time between takes with all varieties of distraction. My portable non-electric device has always been a sock! Not for me the video iPod which might land on the marble floor in a flurry or into a passing pocket.

I love me sock! LoTech Safe.

The Moss Agate #1 went to see Mr. Black this week and, as always, caused speculation and commenting by my Peerage in tow. This time, it got international attention – and a tiny seal of approval by one Brit who just juttted out his lower lip and quickly shook his head affirmatively. Some of my Very Own mates were confused by this colourway and one told me it was either too late or too early to be knitting Christmas socks – I’ll agree they are very festive!

Late in the day, when I was up to the start of the toe, I reached a conumdrum. This sock lives in my parka pocket. All alone lives she, no tools or stash to keep her company in her downtime between stitching. Before I could continue, I needed to get a fix on my gauge, because as usual, I didn’t write anything down and had no pattern with me.

I did have time to think and I did have this…

knitting patterns
meet my new little Gauger, a business card,
which in the US is always 2″ x 3.5″ -
really good in pinch!

14 Responses to “Friday March 16, 2007”

I do love Sylvia in the fountain…I’m going to have to get me some Fellini from Netflix soon.

2. Terry says:

Ah! A very clever tool, has multi usage and very portable :)And I bet you have a nice list (at least at the back of your mind) of comments made about your knitting while in public. Wonderful color, I love every peek you’ve given us.

3. Maureen says:

Thanks for the tip. Love the sock! Maybe your next sock should be in the colorway “Black Watch”.

4. Toby Wollin says:

Educational, that’s what this blog is – damned educational. I never knew the origin of the name of these pesky photogs and here it is. As for the sock – as usual, sheer brilliance on your part to bring some civility, craftiness, and warmth to the situation (if no one else appreciates a well-made, colorful and perhaps eccentric sock, certainly the Brits do). And, considering it is St. Pat’s Day, green as well. Brava!!!

5. Karen B. says:

LOL, Maureen! Black Watch…

I’m so sorry for you having to endure the stakeout ritual – the wait, then pounce for the best position! At least you get some lovely footwear out of the deal.

Any of your male peers trunk-worthy*?

*What my friends and I say when we see a cute guy worth grabbing off the street and bundling into the trunk for who knows what all!

I love the business card tip, and theh sock is beautiful.

7. amisha says:

i love the stories of your work… and the image of the other photographers checking out your sock :) it is super-festive!

8. Wanda says:

I did enjoy reading/hearing about this scandal. Quite interesting. The sock is quite festive, it looks great.

9. Darci says:

Okay that idea so rocks…I am alway stuck on the soccer pitch in the middle of a weekend tournament without my tools. Just my sock and me. And now a business card.

10. Patricia says:

Hahaha! I wondered if you would be at That Trial. I devour every word written about it lately, as a citizen of the country he denounced in order to be called Lord Black.

11. Love your “day in the life of” knitting vignettes. In a similar pinch I used a dollar bill gauge counter, they are 6″ long. You can really confuse people in public by holding money up to a partially knitted sock!

12. Frank says:

Clearly the reporter was color blind. That’s not red and green. That’s russet and fern. Geez…

13. Anne says:

Better yet, Bonne Marie, I have to pass along a tip I read some years ago. Just take out a dollar bill (or a five or whatever – all US currency is the same size). It’s 2.5″ x 6″ and easily folds into sections to approximate another inch or whatever dimension you use to decide when to start the toe. Personally, I like to make mine toe-up and will start the short-row heel when the length from the toe is 7″.

Also, my usual choice in dpns are 5″, so a quick gauge of my progress to know when to start measuring is seen just by holding up the dpn length first.

14. claudia says:

Dude, this is hysterical — a day in the LIFE. Thanks for the business card hot-tip.