KIP KIP KIP

twst_7446.jpg

Ready to Roll! Full speed ahead! Seams everywhere!

I love seams. I love a nice strong shoulder line with support and muscle; the look of the set-in sleeve; the civilized behaviour of the sides.

All my seaming dreams come true in this pretty – it is fitted and ready to be finished. I will sew the body pieces together and then do the hood, then the band.

Michelle writes: “I see that you’re blocking before adding your button bands – I’ve always been loathe to do this, thinking that the ‘unblocked’ yarn/button bands might cause puckering once blocked….but do you find this is not so?”

I always (99%) block everything before any finishing. Button Banding is not an exact science but I’ve found it goes much more smoothly after blocking. The bands are thicker and firmer than the body of the sweater and in my experience, shouldn’t change much once they are blocked out.

The trick is to find the right pick-up ratio that doesn’t flare or pucker. For this gauge (4.75 sts per inch) I will pick up, on the Front edges, 4 sts for every 5 rows. That means, looking at the edge sts, pick up 4 in every row st, skip one row stitch.

For some reason (cough, cough, digital digital) it has been incredibly hard to shoot this sweater! The color in combination with the cabling just defies me at every turn. Interesting. I keep finding out more and more about the cranky nature of digital — what a brat it is! ;p

12 Responses to “KIP KIP KIP”

1. gwen says:

That’s going to be beautiful!
    I have a technique question for you regarding seaming:
    What method to you use, and where? Do you mattress seam everywhere, including the shoulders? Or do you backstitch the shoulders for more stability?
    Just wonderin’.

2. Toby Wollin says:

Sigh. Just…mmmm…sigh. I don’t know if it’s the wood flooring or the lines of the cables or what, but that photograph just makes me…depressed, actually because MY cables never look like that. Of course, it’s also pouring with rain outside at the moment, which is not lifting my spirits any but that sweater, even in pieces, looks very…comforting..that’s it..all those cables make me think of hot chocolate and cinnamon “bums”…

3. Jane Piotraschke says:

I just adore this sweater. Is this the Twist on your pattern site? I didn’t see the cables on the sleeves in the photo–is there a variation of the pattern? Thanks in advance for the info.

4. Jane Piotraschke says:

5. Michele says:

Thanks for answering my question – I’m going to try this on my next cardigan!

6. Karen says:

I’ve always wondered that same thing about blocking before or after button bands too, so thanks for posting about this. Your blocked pieces are so pretty!

7. Amy says:

Cranky digital camera or not…it’s nice to see photos of this sweater in a light colorway. The beautiful cables really stand out! This looks very lovely indeed. (I love seaming too!)

8. Sonya says:

I am so happy to read that you are a seaming fool! I already knew about your vigorous blocking tendencies – Arrian is shortlisted in my knitting queue. So with your speed and grace, I expect a photo of the finished object around 4pm?

9. Wanda says:

Just beautiful. I love how the sweater is turning out. Great job, can’t wait to see the finished version.

10. amisha says:

hi bonne marie,
    thank you for these thoughts on the button bands… this is something i always wondered about too as i am a great fan of the block! twist is looking *amazing*!

11. Carol says:

Twist is beautiful! I love the flow of the cables and the color too:)

12. Josephine Albert says:

Such a lovely piece. I can’t wait to see the finished sweater. Can you explain your technique for attaching the set-in sleeve?